Producing

- ask away
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

Hey jaime,

You should start producing! We are spoiled with so many great tools (that are cheap too) that makes it so easy to play and have fun. (I can hook you up with some software)

I started making music becuase I couldn't find exactly what I wanted to buy so I tried to make it myself. I also really like the idea of mind control; the fact that music can change yor emotion faster than any other mood trigger. So I wanted to see what sort or relationship I could devleop with myself and with other people with respect to music.

DJing can satisfy the instantaneous need to play music and faciliatate interactive listening. Playing and porducing your own material is a far more personal and fulfilling expression imho. It has alos become a physical necessity!

DJs made and then destroyed many elements of the dance music scene. It is a medium that allows people without talent or soul to mimic what the few really good djs do. It is a lot easier to fake a dj set than to fake playing guitar for example.

Now everyone and his dog is a DJ... hard to compete when msot gigs are determined by social connections. The other extreme is boring laptop performances...is it really live? Does it warrant being live? Usually the answer is no.
People liek Matt Jonson are really reminding people about the craft of making electronic music like a musician, using electronic instruments and then also playing live like a musician...pretty exciting compared to most boring DJs!

Where you live (Victoria BC) is beautiful but it is an island and you can get caught up with island mentality. The lack of techno scene on the westcoast is frustrating but it is important to look beyond BC! You will have a better chance of connecting with likeminded technoheads if you are producing music/managaing a label.

peace,
Danjel
james hill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by james hill »

'It is a medium that allows people without talent or soul to mimic what the few really good djs do.'

I agree with that. Well said!