Producing

- ask away
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Producing

Post by gillsans »

Im not a producer just a dj and I wanted to know what made you want to start producing?

I was thinking this morning how I get so wrapped up in mixing that I sometimes forget why I got into it in the first place, which was to make friends dance. I dont play out as often as I like so I end up playing and recording at home lots. So...

Do you make music so you can dance? think? be creative? expand your mind?

Do you mostly produce 4/4? and why 4/4?

Im curious? Thanks in advance...
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Its very different for me.
Sometimes i dont have a idea what i would like to do when i start of with a track. I just experiment with beats and sounds untill i get a good sounding ground groove. From there i get ideas what im going to do with it.
And sometimes i get a idea "plopping" up in my head and i work out a track from that idea.

Sometimes im realy creative and i can make many tracks in a short period of time.
And sometimes i just have no creativity at all, like for the last months.
I havent done more than a loop or two since october-november.

I think i mostly make music for myself, being creative and making a sound that makes me feel good.
I also noticed that alot of things around me gets me inspired of doing music. Like the weather for example.
Normaly the fall and early winter is the time i have my creativity is working realy good.
Summer is too light, happy and lovley for me to make my music! :D
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I started writing music before playing it out.

It's a great emotional release. I couldn't live without it. It's that simple for me.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Jesse Somfay wrote:I started writing music before playing it out.

It's a great emotional release. I couldn't live without it. It's that simple for me.
Hey Jesse,

Im curious if you and Pheek are going to tour Canada this spring or summer?
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
kevin h
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevin h »

i started producing because dj'ing was becoming this big popularity contest, and i was pissed because a lot of shitty dj's were playing just because they were friends someone who promoted.

on the other hand, i knew someone could become a respected producer with just one well recieved 12", so i'm trying to become the best producer i can be.

for me, it's easier to make music thats sounds ok, than it is to make the kind of music that i personally love,,, i should say, it's easy to become complacent, and not follow through with what you really want....which is the hardest part of making music, imo.

i have a general idea of the kind of music i want to create,(funky/abstract minimal [because thats what i love to hear on the dancefloor])

for me, minimal is music made by/for the smartest and most demanding modern musicians in the world.
bawww..........beep-beep
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

gillsans wrote:
Jesse Somfay wrote:I started writing music before playing it out.

Hey Jesse,

Im curious if you and Pheek are going to tour Canada this spring or summer?
So far I am not aware of any plans to do so. It would be nice to do that eventually though.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i did quite alot of harsh noise paralel with minimal music.

feels good to get rid of negative energies...sometimes i get horny just tweaking :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

I played guitar and drums in bands before i discovered electronic dance music, and it simply liberated me from a world of ego and rigid structure, and opened up endless possibilites for my musical ideas.
Seeing people dance and enjoy my creations was the icing on the cake.

4/4 sometimes, but mostly polyrhythmic for me. the last track i wrote was in 15/16 time. I find my brain and legs tire very quickly of 1/2, 1, 2, and 4 bar loops. There are so many other rhythmic possibilities to explore.