mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

ah thanks.. this looks very helpful!!
kenada
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenada »

The essential problem with a guide like that is that it's been written by a Rock music producer, while some things are universal, theres a big difference when mixing.eqing/balancing an electronic track. I mean theres even big differences between genres of electronic music.
S Y N T H E T I K
COME DOWN
minimal tech - Dec '05
[ññP]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [ññP] »

yeah...but either way...it makes me hungry for more knowledge
nice info! and who knows...perhaps we would do better if we were producing rock'n roll :P
que son esos ruiditos?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

kenada wrote:The essential problem with a guide like that is that it's been written by a Rock music producer, while some things are universal, theres a big difference when mixing.eqing/balancing an electronic track. I mean theres even big differences between genres of electronic music.
yeah I know that but as u say, there are some things universal.
This is by no means "a must do" quide but mere "may be" reference point.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

yea, most mixing articles are written by rock and pop guys. However, they mix professionally, not as a hobby, and come accross a ton of other peoples ideas they have to make sound good. Listen to a well produced pop or rock song, and listen to typical dancefloor fodder. Even if you dont like the content, the sounds usually click into place better. Maybe at the party on the dancefloor nobody cares cuz its loud, but it doesnt hurt to try these things out in the studio.

A good idea is to also see the sounds and track on a spectrum analyzer. Its not to have a certain curve, altho there is more energy in the lower end in dance music. It can help you stack sounds that fit sorta in the same range and cut one or the other with a very narrow parametric filter. You can always take hte filter out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most subwoofers in sound reinforcement are useless under 40 hz, and that is still optimistic. The more energy you give below, the more the subs have to work hard for nothing, or hte system designer has applied a high pass filter anyway. In a warehouse type room, the low frequencies take so long to decay that any detailed subby content just blends together. Where do your monitors drop off at? Nevermind what the paper says, it might have been written jsut so you buy the things and every studios room acoustics are different. Most affordable monitors dont actually play low, so any boosting you do down there, you cant hear, aside from any secondary harmonics. It sucks, but thats how it is. Im not saying high pass everything deep, cuz it is simply wonderful to have really deep sounds you cant even hear anymore on the right system, but be careful. With minimal music it is very easy to go to far.

edit: Dont forget about panning. Not necessarily panning effects, but simply creating a sound stage and moving some instruments. This might help getting 2 sounds share the same freq range and it sounds a lot more interesting. I mean, whats the point of a stereo track where everything is in mono?
freeeeeee
Seuil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Seuil »

The best thing you can do in this range is to notch frequencies out, or in other words create a sharp narrow bell curve to eliminate unwanted or crossover frequencies out of this range.
That's thing it's very good
This is a good way to work
But you know each one listen diferently
There's no model in Eqing
The thing important is to crash down all the bad frequencies you have in your BASS, Middle and TReeble...
And test it with your own ears and see if it feets...
GOOD Software to treat sound is UAD-X
bobdelux
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bobdelux »

Der geile Ami wrote:edit: Dont forget about panning. Not necessarily panning effects, but simply creating a sound stage and moving some instruments. This might help getting 2 sounds share the same freq range and it sounds a lot more interesting. I mean, whats the point of a stereo track where everything is in mono?
Word!...i work in this order: arranging , panning, then effects.