Eq-ing

- ask away
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Eq-ing

Post by tsod »

hey.. i'm often reading that eq-ing in electronic productions is the most important..
for mysoelf i often don't know how, where and when to eq.. so how do u do eq? :)

just read in another forum that people are cutting their bassdrums below 60hz.. to remove rumble and things.. do u do this too or is it nonsense?
i tried it myself but i'm not sure about the result
so how to do it? and btw. what tools do you use for frequency analysis?
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

Well, i hardly use any eq, don't feel the need to, if it sounds good, it sounds good, and....i love the rumble !!! well, i don't know what it means but i like the word !
sye
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sye »

I would cut a kick for a techno kick below 40hz i reckon. It's important to eq so that the track doesn't sound all muddy. You want clarity in your tune so you've got to cut away unwanted frequency in the different elements of the track, otherwise all of the different parts will be fighting for the same frequencies and it will just sound like a mess. So you've got to decide what frequencies you don't like in a particular sound by sweeping with a bell eq and then cut it out, and give a small boost where you a frequency to stand out. The important rule in eqing is to cut more than boost. I hope this was helpful.....

Simon
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Eq-ing

Post by sohrab »

the point is you cant "hear" the difference it makes but you'll feel it.try to eq sounds seperately in your headphone to understand the difference.
tsod wrote:hey.. i'm often reading that eq-ing in electronic productions is the most important..
for mysoelf i often don't know how, where and when to eq.. so how do u do eq? :)
I dont know how,where and when to do it neither,I dont know if its depend on what kind of song you're making or it always has a standard rule!?
maybe sye can help us!
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

and about tools there should be a simple "Equalizer" device in the software you use.but in proffessional studios real Equalizers I think,cause as you said I've heard too that Eqing is one of most important proceses
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

I read on some forum (could be this one, not sure) that you should always EQ down, not up.

I think you should treat EQ like any other effect unit. Just experiment with it and try to get a sound you like, doesn't really matter in what order you use it.
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

jap its just so impressive what an eq can do.. normally i have my kick and it sits fine.. and yesterday i've put an eq over it with a simple "kick eq" preset.. and suddendly.. it was just like WOW!! guess i really have to play around with it.. but probably there are some general guidelines too
but why i tell this.. i would never have tweaked the parameters in this way.. this is the point :-/
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

what software you use tsod?