Post by 180gram »

I was joking btw
breton
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: SNBLCK002 - Jorge Savoretti - Dreams on Wax EP

Post by breton »

ray parry wrote:who cares?
This is what i have been wondering as well. Does anyone really care about all this sh!t? Does anyone actually read the feedback? Does it really increase the sales?
This has all turned into a joke by now. download for r hawtin. rimming for mr ties.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

i don't believe it increases sales. nobody cares, its just us nerds left now and most of us check the record shops on a regular basis to not need to listen to what other people are playing. we can also just go on youtube and check what everyone is playing if that's the route we wish to take.

i believe its really just to get the DJ gigs and to give off the impression you are doing better then you may actually be doing (people are suckers and buy into anything these days). if a few djs start playing your music and there is a bit of hype the label/artist then looks good and its quite possible you may get some gigs from that for the artist and the label gets some hype if the rest of the releases are decent.

i wish more labels would just not bother and give the artist the money instead. i have had releases out on labels that have got promotion companies to do the work and its not made a single bit of difference to sales. sure i get some more reviews, interviews and my ego is boosted somewhat but to answer your question sales have not increased. it could well have the opposite effect if you send out digital promos to say 200 plus people.

sorry to hijack your thread btw.
Snejl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Snejl »

as much as i would like this thread to stick simply to the music and the release itself, i feel like i need to write down a few own thoughts. as im personally involved in the scene since nearly 20 years now, running 3 labels, each and every one having its own moments during all these years, one thing is for sure. everything went through major changes especially over the last 5 years, meaning not only the market is flooded right now with both labels, dj's, producers, music, etc, but also the ways any of them understand to do their job or passion is different from case to case. i dont think slagging is something that could change things. as a matter of fact, everything is changing because of the nature of it. as im also getting tons of promos myself, i have to admit im not much interested apart from a few labels i have been always supported and am interested in their releases. however, please consider that any record label has to try and create the buzz in a way or another, and there are not many ways that can lead to any kind of result whatsoever.

Now, talking about sales.... im sure most of you guys are aware of the fact that 10 years ago, a release used to get at least 1000+ units pressed, at least 100 hard copies used to go out to the key players via regular mail, with a feedback sheet slipped within the cover, and most of them used to get back with a full report . now, having a larger amount of units pressed automatically used to lead to sales which could have generated income especially for the artists and in the end for the label itself, even though the whole procedure with the pressing plants and distributors used to slow down all the reports ( not that now its much of a big difference anyway ). right now though, most of the labels releasing vinyl are limited to lets say 200-300 units, what are the chances anyone can actually make profits out of it? i would say none. more than that, the label faces loss, especially if everything is done professionally, meaning you have nice artwork done - and yes, you also hire a PR company, because come on... whats the point of simply releasing a track without even trying to showcase it into the wild? as far as we are concerned , we're happy with all our results. our new label GET SLOW ( https://www.facebook.com/getslowrecords ) is doing quite well as we manage to sell out all the units we press, and also because we do hire Dispersion to run our campaigns, we're content for all the results we get in return, meaning our releases are featured in established magazines and get plays on key radio stations and not only. Being vinyl only labels, we quit on releasing digitals, which by the way, are supposed to generate more income and actually provide profits for both label and artists. you do the math and figure out what exactly is it that you want. get 50 bucks share from digital sales, or benefit from a well organized promo campaign. in the end, label and artist should work together and decide the ways, at least what and how we use to do our own things. Nevertheless, every label has its own way of working things out, therefore im not allowed to comment anyone else but ourselves.

Sorry for the long reply, but having this done, let the music talk and keep up the good work.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

the point was sales are not increased by promo campaigns. you're already limiting yourself to vinyl only so this makes even less sense to me. fine you get some djs playing your music, you get some nice reviews but if it doesn't make any difference to sales then what is the point?

you sell 300 vinyl copies and you just about break even. so why then go and pay 200 to a pr company and lose money. this model doesn't make sense to me.
fear_of_flying
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fear_of_flying »

agree with Ray here, promo campaigns for singles don't make dck all difference to vinyl sales. Buying habits just aren't what they used to be - when was the last time you opened a magazine and bought something based on a review in there? And radio... absolutely no chance. Personally, I ask what's new when i walk into a record shop or look at the new releases on the online store sites.

The best promotion we do is the free stuff, Facebook, here and other forums where you've got direct links to the sounds and sales links but i'm doubtful even that makes much impact. Why waste that money that could be given to the artist instead, surely they're the ones that deserve it. It's a point that myself and my label partner have been discussing of late, it's a really crazy situation in dance-land at the moment where it seems that everyone bar the actual artist is getting paid - remixer takes their fee, artwork guay takes their fee and promo guys take their fee, not to mention the label manager!

I think an argument can be made for LP releases and digital based releases are different, I label manage for 7 other labels as well as running a few of my own but even then 'feedback' isn't really the thing that drives punters to buy it, rather it is a way of gaining a feature / banner on Beatport which could generate sales.
jswe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jswe »

It's cool to see everyones ideas on the issue... and obviously there is a lot of tension with players and the 'vinyl only 300 copies' trend. While I agree the feedback list is a bit wanky.... you shouldn't need a list of dj's and their boring feedback to buy a good record - but at the same time who gives a sh!t!!! Thanks for the the good music, it FINALLY just arrived on my doorstep in Australia.
Snejl
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Snejl »

jswe wrote:It's cool to see everyones ideas on the issue... and obviously there is a lot of tension with players and the 'vinyl only 300 copies' trend. While I agree the feedback list is a bit wanky.... you shouldn't need a list of dj's and their boring feedback to buy a good record - but at the same time who gives a sh!t!!! Thanks for the the good music, it FINALLY just arrived on my doorstep in Australia.
agreed :) and thanks for both feedback and buying the record. glad it reached you well.