The Promo Mix

- open
mick finesse
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mick finesse »

iainkerr7 wrote:Using time code tells you the bpm to 0.01% so of course it is completely different. You don't need to beat match and can focus on your dance moves.

Patrick you are one of the few who buy their tracks.

Digital Dj'ing has killed the industry and I don't see why we should all support it?
If there was no Traktor then there would not be the demand for mp3 blogs.
False.

I was talking to Ali ( Perc ) about this last weekend while he was here. He said he makes the majority of his income from Beatport. A lot of smaller labels do. Because he makes money with Beatport he can afford to put particular releases out on vinyl and keep his label running.

The main argument about vinyl vs CD vs digital is retarded. There are DJ's that get paid much more than anyone on this board that use one or the other or a mixture of the formats. You can bitch about format until you're blue in the face, yet a good amount of punters that roll into a show could give two shits about how you're making the music.

Trying to be known or respected as a DJ in this age is laughable at best. You're not going to break down any walls sticking to your guns on a particular format, especially by attacking people that use Ableton or Traktor. The truth is there are people that use Ableton who are more talented than you and make a living off of DJing, so anyone who vocalizes their opinion that "anyone that doesn't beatmatch isn't a DJ" just comes off as bitter and hateful.

If you want to make it as a DJ, produce music. Work on writing and become successful then you can DJ however you want and no one will give a sh!t if your mix sounds sloppy or natural or perfect.

Now as for the thread topic; I wouldn't put too much weight into people not commenting on your mixes. Most of the time it's going to be a quick "nice mix!" from friends just giving you positive feedback without critically examining your work. And like someone else pointed out, there are a million mixes out there from amateur DJ's ( amateur meaning you don't make a living off of it ) for most people to care about. I listen to maybe 3-4 mixes a month, and they're all from people I admire and are usually filled with promos. I do this to stay on top of what's current for the most part. If I put a mix out and I get 5 people to listen to it I'm happy, most of the mixes I make I do for myself to see where I'm at because I don't have time to analyze each mix I'm doing when I play out.
Techno producer and DJ concerned by the social obligation to pigeonhole by design and inspired by the desire to hold pigeons.

www.freqboutique.com
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

I actually think that the best way to become successful, is obviously produce, but to keep your tracks to yourself that way you develop your own sounds and style.

Maybe this is already happening.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

iainkerr7 wrote:Using time code tells you the bpm to 0.01% so of course it is completely different. You don't need to beat match and can focus on your dance moves.
so what? makes it that bit easier to beat match a track.. but like i've said time and time before.. that doesn't make the mix.. its how you blend it...
iainkerr7 wrote:I also don't see why digital djs get so defensive?
dunno really... why do vinyl djs have such a chip on their shoulders are doing things the "real" way or the "right" way...

i defending the point that it doesn't matter what you use, so long as you do a good mix... greg wilson uses reel to reel tape decks.. people use samplers, fx, etc etc... they're just tools to play and dj music.
iainkerr7 wrote:I don't see why there is any need to have this argument? Continue playing mediocre files and continue giving people a reason to steal music.
that's a pretty big brush you've tarred loads of people with...
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

I have labelled mixes as vinyl only, only because I feel proud of playing vinyl.. not to seem elitist, or put down any other medium.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Genuinely suprised to see people support auto-sync -

Ciaran - stick to your guns and you to Willie - But I suppose everyone - If your happy with whatever stick with it.
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

jackbrazzo wrote:Genuinely suprised to see people support auto-sync -
i don't support it mate.

unless things can go horribly wrong at any moment then i'm not really interested. no programme can replicate the tension manual beatmatching creates in a transition.

however in certain instances i'm not completely against it - if you're dicky hawtin or speedy j and have proved you can mix and want to take things further then i see no problem.

if you're a lazy newcomer who wants to be able to seamlessly beatmatch tracks without putting any work in, then you will get no respect from me. not that you should care.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

i don't really think its about supporting one thing or another.. its not about drawing a line in the sand...

i'm supporting the fact it doesn't matter what you use so long as you produce something that's listen-able, interesting and enjoyable...

i don't feel particularly cheated if someone uses auto-sync.. it really doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't really bother anyone else... you shouldn't feel cheated by it... as i keep saying.. its just a minor part to dj'ing...

i guess because i don't really think about beat matching these days... i just do it.. its a second nature thing that i automatically do... back in the day when i was starting out i used to get stressed by it... but now its an auto function.. i do it.. don't think anything of it.. and if someone else is using it computer to do it.. i don't feel cheated at all... what i'm more concerned about is how they actually mix the tracks... what i hear through the speakers... that's the point of dj'ing.. to move and entertain people my playing good music blended together well... not by rocking out as longer a mix of records purely because they've been put manually in time.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

In addition, to the question about getting respect. I used to play ableton, and now play vinyl. There are a lot more people at gigs who give you respect for playing records rather than bringing a laptop.

I dont play out often, but every time I have people will say things like 'respect for playing vinyl' and other such comments