The Promo Mix

- open
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

The Promo Mix

Post by wax works »

My firend and I were discussing this today and I was curious to know what other people think..

Now we are vinyl DJs and the night we are doing is a vinyl night.

We made a mix to promote it and it's had a few listens but it's not had any feedback or comments. Now the mix is a bit rough around the edges but that is what we wanted, we wanted it to be a 'real' mix.

Now IMO the tunes are excellent, so it seemed strange that no one had made many comments. It got me thinking that maybe people are too used to digital mixes and perfect mixes that they no longer have time for mixes that aren't.

Do you think now that digital DJ'ing has taken over that this kind of mix is no longer enjoyed? Do people expect perfect mixes from start to finish?
What is your personal opinion about having a poor transition in your mix?

We are not talking trainwrecks by the way, just mixes that are not spot on.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Little pitch corrections, tiny mistakes etc. here and there add life to the mix in my opinion. Makes the mix more natural and enjoyable. A lot of the (perfect) digital mixes sound dry and are boring as hell to listen to imo.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

I agree, but the perfect vinyl mix is a beautiful thing...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

my favourite mix cd ever ... immer by michael mayer ... has a few little trainwrecks.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Lets hear the mix then Iain...
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: The Promo Mix

Post by LouisVee »

iainkerr7 wrote: It got me thinking that maybe people are too used to digital mixes and perfect mixes that they no longer have time for mixes that aren't.
Maybe, in a few years, people will go back to 'real mixes(no computer)' for that same reason?
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

why assume people like on or the other? I love sets recorded in clubs with pitch corrections and what not (even half-assed sound quality sometimes) and I love hyper intricate digital things with heaps of layers and loops

what I could do better though is to leave feedback when I enjoy a mix
reddie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by reddie »

good selection of tracks, put in the right place after another to form a good groove is what makes the transition sound good also. Synchronization is easy know with traktor for example, eventhough it needs a good sens to adjust tracks in harmony, where to send, drop and play.