Warm-up DJ's

- open
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

Atheory wrote:is there a sadder sight in the world of music than seeing a man banging it out to an almost empty room?
There's one thing sadder: being that man who bangs it out to an almost empty room. I experienced it two weeks ago.

Two room events don't work out if one room gets infrastructurally neglected.. :(
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

great article
I've seen Dean Muhsin do warm ups more times than I care to mention, a fantastic example of a DJ who has mastered the art of the warm up.

I'm more of an afterhours guy myself though
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Since most of my gigs are either as opening dj or background music, I find this article extremely concise.

However, all too often do I see opening djs in my town fail to realize their role. Our town is small, so our shows usually only have one headliner, giving opportunity for multiple openers. It's sad to see some of the openers play fast, poppy techno when opening for a more minimal-in-sound dj...or upstaging, in other words.
- matt
Reddman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Reddman »

i think it really has to do with headliners egos,theres alot of warmup djs that are much better than the main act and they cant deal with it.

most of the big name djs are just overrated and almost always have their sets planned out so they cant improvise and adapt.
to me thats lack of talent.
they get paid the big bucks and they cant handle picking up where a lesser named dj leaves off...come on now,show me what the fck you've got,impress me.

if the house is packed its because peeps are there to hear the headliner so no matter where the warmup leaves off the crowd is still gonna be pleased when the main act takes control.

stop being whiny fucking little girls and do what you are paid to do...thrill me.
Last edited by Reddman on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

the article is good and true

BUT

it cant be a reason for a headliner to whine, they get so fucking much money, they have to work for it.

especially the laptop traktor DJs they have 2000 mp3s with them so where is the problem to improvise a good set which goes with the mood of the crowd.

this is why ricardo comes with 4-5 full record bags to a gig, and if you get 3000-8000 Euro for 2-3 hours work i would say you have to carry 10 recordbags if its necessary to do your job

but really i dont think one of the big names would complain about a warmup act ..

and for the rest, yeah they actually dependent on the warmup act, thats why they are no big DJ. But not every Club Night has some really big DJ Star every week, and someone has to be Headliner. So its ok if they complain.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Reddman wrote:i think it really has to do with headliners egos,theres alot of warmup djs that are much better than the main act and they cant deal with it.

most of the big name djs are just overrated and almost always have their sets planned out so they cant improvise and adapt.
they get paid the big bucks and they cant handle picking up where a lesser named dj leaves off...come on now,show me what the fck you've got,impress me.

if the house is packed its because peeps are there to hear the headliner so no matter where the warmup leaves off the crowd is still gonna be pleased when the main act takes control.

stop being whiny fcking little girls and do what you are paid to do...thrill me.
it sounds like your going to the wrong nights.

People come to our night because they know they will have an awesome time even if they don't know who the headliner is. we're never had an overrated headliner and any promoters with knowledge and good taste will never book someone who's overrated. we had portable/bodycode playing live this weekend and he was on another level.
Reddman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Reddman »

tone-def wrote:
Reddman wrote:i think it really has to do with headliners egos,theres alot of warmup djs that are much better than the main act and they cant deal with it.

stop being whiny fcking little girls and do what you are paid to do...thrill me.
it sounds like your going to the wrong nights.

People come to our night because they know they will have an awesome time even if they don't know who the headliner is. we're never had an overrated headliner and any promoters with knowledge and good taste will never book someone who's overrated. we had portable/bodycode playing live this weekend and he was on another level.
yeah we hardly ever get any dope djs out here,last good one i opened for was audiofly,anthony dug my live conga playing
motf_118
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by motf_118 »

Reddman wrote:anthony dug my live conga playing
say what?