ableont live for production?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

daveashe wrote:
steevio wrote:imo cubase is rock solid for midi, thats why i still use it.
Just out of interest, can you sequence a repetitive note and it will play spot-on every time without any glitches?
not sure what you mean bro
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

@dave

Just out of interest,
someone over at gearslutz did a test like this with logic and i believe the results were not rock solid, or quite inconsistent anyway. but no hardware is exact either.

also here, someone posted a link to a site with loads of tests done on hardware sequencers and none of them are really exact, but, i guess we can trust our ears in most cases.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:@dave

Just out of interest,
someone over at gearslutz did a test like this with logic and i believe the results were not rock solid, or quite inconsistent anyway. but no hardware is exact either.

also here, someone posted a link to a site with loads of tests done on hardware sequencers and none of them are really exact, but, i guess we can trust our ears in most cases.
the timing on the TR909 is far from exact, but it sounds much better in real life than when quantised.
and i think if everything is a tiny bit out, then it kind of evens out and adds a little life.
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

steevio wrote:
Atheory wrote:@dave

Just out of interest,

the timing on the TR909 is far from exact, but it sounds much better in real life than when quantised.
and i think if everything is a tiny bit out, then it kind of evens out and adds a little life.
Its sounds far more natural for notes to be slightly off quantize. When everything is bang on centre the result is grooveless techno.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I'm curious what these timing issues cause problems with? how much timing are you talking about?

are you talking about precicly placing sounds anywhere? low end bass? what exactly? is it sync?

personally the only time i had problems with timing was in reason... where i couldn't get the lowend frequencies to line up consistently. in fact is was rather consistently inconsistent. :D

This seems like an interesting device for those with midi timing problems
http://www.elektron.se/products/?sPage= ... EA_TM.TM-1
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I write tracks in Logic, and I've wondered about how I'll eventually play my tracks in Live once I'm ready to start doing live sets. It's my intention to actually bring hardsynths along and have them be triggered by midi clips, rather than to just bounce their sound files into Ableton as audio clips.

The trouble is, though, a lot of my sounds are manipulated by Logic's delays and reverbs, which means that when I eventually do live sets with Ableton, the sounds are going to sound different because they're being processed by different plugins. I can't really see any good way around this, other than to start using 3rd party delays/reverbs/etc for writing my tracks, so that I can set things up the same way in Ableton.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

I use to work with ableton since 2 years but now I find a limitation in production, I'll change for Logic studio, I think is a lil bit harder for the beginning, but the tracks will be more sofisticated and nice worked. for me.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

just curious, what exactly do you find limiting in ableton?