ableont live for production?

- ask away
franksterling
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ableont live for production?

Post by franksterling »

hi!

i deceided to move from drum & bass and breaks to techno, minimal tech house etc.
i had a break of 4-5 years and have to rethink of what i am using. before i used cubase, later logic to produce. ableton live didn't really work for d&b.
what would you say how it works for techno (just production, not live)?
i missed things like detailed mixer views, subgroup functionality etc and had the problem that it can get quite cluttered.
now i have to deceide if i would like to go with logic or live.
i would really like to use live as i like the thought of being able to play around with what i have done. however i am not sure if i will regret it at a later point when i notice that i am missing features (don't know about techno but there is no way to do d&b without groove quantize).

thanks for the answers
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

stick with logic - that's just fine.

i don't like ableton because it's just too damn fiddly. some nice tools and functions in there but i can't imagine making complete tracks in it - lots of people do though. and when it comes to routing i just hate it. also, i've found that music made in ableton sounds a certain way - in logic you have a blank sheet and you make what you want on that (this i like).
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

some of the pro's are using ableton live (marcel dettmann) and some are using logic (carl craig). I use ableton and sure some times i find a limitation but thats probably just me that dosen't know how that function works.

It's pretty much just go for one of them and learn it well.
JEZMONDO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JEZMONDO »

I have just switched from Sonar after many years of use to Ableton. I did like the simplicity of Ableton and worked out work arounds for many of the issues like subgroups there were a couple of things that I didnt work forme. I found that editing automation in Ableton to be great but it only recognises up to controller 127 which meant a lot of fiddling about when using Kore 2. It also crashed more often than I was happy with. despite all this i have done some of my best material in Ableton and plan to keep my copy for when a change may help inspiration.
I am really happy with Logic 9 as a DAW its more similar to Sonar which I rate as the best DAW for features and the worst for crashes and instability.
Logic does everything I need and more. The plugins are more than enough for quality production by themselves.
Hope this helps.
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

As much as i like logic, i don't find it as logical as live in real-world usage.

Ask yourself the question: do you want to use a linear sequencer (logic) or a live pattern-jammer (live)

There is a third option: use a tracker like madtracker and rewire it to ableton live along with reason, and fruity loops :)
franksterling
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by franksterling »

thanks for the answers.
i think i will play around with some samples and deceide then.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i cant use live for production, i find the interface fiddly and unintuitive, but i'm a hardware producer and i use my sequencer purely as a midi-sequencer.
for that i use an old copy of cubase VST5 which is the best i've found for midi-sequencing.
for recording and editing i use cubase SX3, and soundforge for wave editing.

so i'm usually running VST5 and SX3 at the same time.

and for live jamming and arranging audio i use ableton 7. (soon to be upgraded)

i always use the best tool ive found for each job.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

I also can't use Ableton for production because I can't get into its workflow somehow - I hate working with loops. For me its important to manipulate parameters within seconds.
I use Reason for the track arrangement and Ableton for FX and all that stuff...