Allen&Heath Zed Series

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:i think you should go for it mate. you will be a lot closer to that professional sound your after. a friend of mine has just got the ZED-R16 and he say it's the best thing he's ever brought and he's probably spent about £6000 on equipment and software.
It's over a grand though. There is no way I can afford something like that. I would want to be spending no more then £600
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

for £600 your best bet is ebay but you'll be lucky to find an decent mixer and audio interface for that price. i have seen secondhand mixers go for under £600 but i'm not sure about the other stuff you would need to make it work.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Well I've also looked at the Zed 24, but bear in mind that you'll need some kind of interface with 20 analog outputs in order to put a zed 24 to full use. I use a Macbook with firewire and I cannot find any audio interface that has this many outputs (I don't think a firewire interface with that many outputs exists).

Something like a MOTU 24i/o + a zed 24 would be a great combination, and would cost less than a r16. But you need a desktop with a PCI slot to utilize the 24 i/o. For me, the r16 is the best option.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Well I couldnt take it anymore gents. I crumbled and bought a zed-r16. I'll let ya know how it goes.

I'm scared as heck to sell my trusty apogee stuff to fund this, but my aforementioned friend has such a sick workflow and sound right now I had to get in on the game.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

nrjizer wrote:Well I've also looked at the Zed 24, but bear in mind that you'll need some kind of interface with 20 analog outputs in order to put a zed 24 to full use. I use a Macbook with firewire and I cannot find any audio interface that has this many outputs (I don't think a firewire interface with that many outputs exists).

Something like a MOTU 24i/o + a zed 24 would be a great combination, and would cost less than a r16. But you need a desktop with a PCI slot to utilize the 24 i/o. For me, the r16 is the best option.
Dont these mixers produce sound on their own??
I'm confused... :roll:
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

miniMAL_420 wrote:
nrjizer wrote:Well I've also looked at the Zed 24, but bear in mind that you'll need some kind of interface with 20 analog outputs in order to put a zed 24 to full use. I use a Macbook with firewire and I cannot find any audio interface that has this many outputs (I don't think a firewire interface with that many outputs exists).

They mix whatever signals you plug into them, of course. Since I was responding to BLM specifically, and he previously indicated in the thread that he has never used an analog mixer before and uses ableton, I presumed that he wants to mix a lot of signals originating from his DAW. In which case he would absolutely need an interface to be order to use the Zed to the full potential.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

nrjizer wrote:
miniMAL_420 wrote:

They mix whatever signals you plug into them, of course. Since I was responding to BLM specifically, and he previously indicated in the thread that he has never used an analog mixer before and uses ableton, I presumed that he wants to mix a lot of signals originating from his DAW. In which case he would absolutely need an interface to be order to use the Zed to the full potential.
That's correct. I'm going to want to send each channel from my DAW to the channels on the mixer so I can mix properly.