a track i share to you

- open
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

miniKAT wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
miniKAT wrote:The reason that so much cheese or crap comes out now, is because everyone and their mother is a producer now due to things like ableton and reason (and I'm not knocking software). Before digital and beatport and all that sht it wasnt like that. It wasnt easy to make a record (literally) and get it out there, as it is now.
I think if u are djing with digital means (Traktor , ableton), the tracks or parts of them (even the cheesy ones) can and should be used to create ur own stuff when ur playing, at least thats what I try to do. I still see a lot of people just crossfading from one track to another using traktor or even worse, ableton. Once again I'm not knocking software,I use it, digital saves u a lot of time that u would spend beatmatching or looking for records, etc...So USE that time wisely...Do something, create, "flip the cheese"...IMO
I disagree. In the 80's loads of wannabee producers went out and bought drum machines etc... and started making music. There has always been crap music thoughtout the years.

It has nothing to do with music programs, its more to do with the digital age. I cant tell you how many demo's we recieve that we turn down and then later see them on BP on some digital label.
Actually u are agreeing...crap music will be made, regarldess, always...the fact is, it wasnt making it on the market in the 80' 90's, the way it is today, because it wasnt as easy.
And it has everything to do with software. Cause u can make a track without investing any dough. Just download the software on the net.
How would u do that back in the day. Go to the store and boost a 909? Slim chance...
What I'm saying is if u (or me for that matter) are claiming to be a dj and have talent then cheesy music out there should not stand in ur way. With todays digital djing, the possibilities are endless of what one can do...Turn Cheese into Butter.
No, machines were cheap back in the day. Lots and lots of people went out and bought them in places like Chicago and NY. It was easy to put music out back then too, as vinyl record sales in the likes of Chicago were massive so they were making quite a bit of money from each release.

Anyways I agree that digital music has made it easier for people to put music out, but to say a DAW is doing the damage is silly imo. Cracks have been around for years no?
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Atheory wrote:i think we need a regroup on the word pretentious, personally.

or what if i was actually who i am (normal, caring friend and boyfriend), but i had this sideline situation going on in the town next to me where i had this other group of mates and my dynamic with them was just going "down the local" and taking the piss out of each other about how ugly the girls they pulled were. and then i went over to this girl that i was kind of seeing, and i was all moody with her cause i wasn't really good at expressing my feelings or didnt have the verbal abilities to do it, and we got in a fight and i assaulted her, like really badly, you know, just to fit in. no one would call me pretentious then. probably more like a monster or something.

anyway, is anyone with me on this one???
assulting you're girlfriend isn't pretentious...

Saying "we need to regroup on the meaning of pretentious" is pretentious...

For me the meaning of it is you're being pompus about somthing, or being contrary just for the sake of it.

Like making a bad song just to play out & prove that people will still dance to it in a club. THAT'S FUCKING PRETENTIOUS!
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

miniKAT wrote:
miniKAT wrote:The reason that so much cheese or crap comes out now, is because everyone and their mother is a producer now due to things like ableton and reason (and I'm not knocking software). Before digital and beatport and all that sht it wasnt like that. It wasnt easy to make a record (literally) and get it out there, as it is now.
I think if u are djing with digital means (Traktor , ableton), the tracks or parts of them (even the cheesy ones) can and should be used to create ur own stuff when ur playing, at least thats what I try to do. I still see a lot of people just crossfading from one track to another using traktor or even worse, ableton. Once again I'm not knocking software,I use it, digital saves u a lot of time that u would spend beatmatching or looking for records, etc...So USE that time wisely...Do something, create, "flip the cheese"...IMO
I disagree. In the 80's loads of wannabee producers went out and bought drum machines etc... and started making music. There has always been crap music thoughtout the years.

It has nothing to do with music programs, its more to do with the digital age. I cant tell you how many demo's we recieve that we turn down and then later see them on BP on some digital label.
Actually u are agreeing...crap music will be made, regarldess, always...the fact is, it wasnt making it on the market in the 80' 90's, the way it is today, because it wasnt as easy.
And it has everything to do with software. Cause u can make a track without investing any dough. Just download the software on the net.
How would u do that back in the day. Go to the store and boost a 909? Slim chance...
What I'm saying is if u (or me for that matter) are claiming to be a dj and have talent then cheesy music out there should not stand in ur way. With todays digital djing, the possibilities are endless of what one can do...Turn Cheese into Butter.
No, machines were cheap back in the day. Lots and lots of people went out and bought them in places like Chicago and NY. It was easy to put music out back then too, as vinyl record sales in the likes of Chicago were massive so they were making quite a bit of money from each release.

Anyways I agree that digital music has made it easier for people to put music out, but to say a DAW is doing the damage is silly imo. Cracks have been around for years no?
Are we just talking about Electronic Music, House, Techno, etc? Or hip-hop as well? I mean electronic music is a lot more widespread now then in the 90's (not to mention 80's). Ur saying that its the same amount of EDM(dont like that term) coming out now as back in the day? U know thats not even close. Correct me if I misunderstood, though.

DAW isnt' to blame, no...But DAWs and DJ software should be a reason not to bitch about crappy music out there. U can recycle it and turn it into something good. Or, bottom line, just dont buy it or download it.

Basically, this guy was saying "I made a track, listen to how much it sux, and people in the club still liked it and danced to it" which is retarded IMO. But true, to an extent. 2/3, of the people, maybe more, at most clubs here, (not ALL), dont get into the technicality of the music, and dont really know whats what. But when I play, I play to enertain Myself as well as the people. If I'm not into it, or I'm not having fun, then chances are they wont either. Also, for the people in the club that ARE artists or are my friends, or just dudes that do know their sh!t, those are the ones that count, those are the ones I'm being creative for, besides myself. For the others, as long as u throw a phat bassline on and kill the lows, bring em up every now and then, u'll be "#1 DJ"

Now thats just me.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

To be honest mate I'm quite confused by what you put. First you say:
The reason that so much cheese or crap comes out now, is because everyone and their mother is a producer now due to things like ableton and reason

And then you say:
DAW isnt' to blame, no...But DAWs and DJ software should be a reason not to bitch about crappy music out there. U can recycle it and turn it into something good. Or, bottom line, just dont buy it or download it.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

::BLM:: wrote:To be honest mate I'm quite confused by what you put. First you say:
The reason that so much cheese or crap comes out now, is because everyone and their mother is a producer now due to things like ableton and reason

And then you say:
I meant in the way that it made it easier to create a track, easier technically and financially, meaning u can do it without spending money on equipment.

Dont get me wrong, those are great programs...

U shouldnt bitch about it if ur a dj, I mean, since those programs give u lot of ways to be creative even with the cheesiest track, u get it?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Rochey wrote:
Atheory wrote:i think we need a regroup on the word pretentious, personally.

or what if i was actually who i am (normal, caring friend and boyfriend), but i had this sideline situation going on in the town next to me where i had this other group of mates and my dynamic with them was just going "down the local" and taking the piss out of each other about how ugly the girls they pulled were. and then i went over to this girl that i was kind of seeing, and i was all moody with her cause i wasn't really good at expressing my feelings or didnt have the verbal abilities to do it, and we got in a fight and i assaulted her, like really badly, you know, just to fit in. no one would call me pretentious then. probably more like a monster or something.

anyway, is anyone with me on this one???
assulting you're girlfriend isn't pretentious...

Saying "we need to regroup on the meaning of pretentious" is pretentious...

For me the meaning of it is you're being pompus about somthing, or being contrary just for the sake of it.

Like making a bad song just to play out & prove that people will still dance to it in a club. THAT'S fcking PRETENTIOUS!
ok, a couple of things.

my post wasn't very clear so it was easy to misunderstand, but yes, it was a joke anyway, about being careful to stereotype people.

but this is exactly what i mean.
someone talks about art= thats pretentious.
someone goes to the theatre = pretentious.
someone reads a book thats not harry potter or the da vinci code = thats pretentious

but, i like those things, and they mean a lot to me. i like them in the same way i like football and music and woman. shouldn't people not just like the things they like and not have the thought police banging down their door.

i sometimes meet poeple at parties, who like art and stuff and maybe we talk about that but then i might talk about football or techno, and they think those are weird things for me to like cause they are oafish and stuff and you cant like them both, but thats just really about their limitations as people.

so likewise, i meet people who like football and techno but don't like other things mentioned above, and think its wanky and pretentious that i do, but similarly thats just really about their limitations too.

pretentious means pretty much someone pretending to be someone they aren't, usually in a way to make themselves seem more important, intelligent etc.

but its weird that someone would set a limitation on a person and decide that that is what they should and should like and anything past that is just some aspirational idea they have.

being interested in the things that human beings have made/done/thought is more important than keeping up old traditions that have grown out of class identity isssues. where will it stop? one day you might find yourself at the polling booth voting in your local BNP representative.

people should just like what they want, and let others get on with it, but as has been said before, its easier to laugh at something or somebody than to try and understand them.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Atheory wrote:
ok, a couple of things.

my post wasn't very clear so it was easy to misunderstand, but yes, it was a joke anyway, about being careful to stereotype people.

but this is exactly what i mean.
someone talks about art= thats pretentious.
someone goes to the theatre = pretentious.
someone reads a book thats not harry potter or the da vinci code = thats pretentious

but, i like those things, and they mean a lot to me. i like them in the same way i like football and music and woman. shouldn't people not just like the things they like and not have the thought police banging down their door.

i sometimes meet poeple at parties, who like art and stuff and maybe we talk about that but then i might talk about football or techno, and they think those are weird things for me to like cause they are oafish and stuff and you cant like them both, but thats just really about their limitations as people.

so likewise, i meet people who like football and techno but don't like other things mentioned above, and think its wanky and pretentious that i do, but similarly thats just really about their limitations too.

pretentious means pretty much someone pretending to be someone they aren't, usually in a way to make themselves seem more important, intelligent etc.

but its weird that someone would set a limitation on a person and decide that that is what they should and should like and anything past that is just some aspirational idea they have.

being interested in the things that human beings have made/done/thought is more important than keeping up old traditions that have grown out of class identity isssues. where will it stop? one day you might find yourself at the polling booth voting in your local BNP representative.

people should just like what they want, and let others get on with it, but as has been said before, its easier to laugh at something or somebody than to try and understand them.
basically likeing somthing isn't pretentious be it jazz, art, double espressos etc

thinking you're better then someone because you do is.

It's somthing we all do, but in certain things it's more prominent then others
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

ha, double espressos. brilliant.

but, yeah, i cant argue with that, i get where your coming from.