survey: how much have you made by releasing music?

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

gustafsson wrote:yes

another thing is i have serious doubts all distri play fair

some might keep some sales to themselves i know that happens in vynil

(pd deals mostly)

and i would not be surprised that happened in digital although i think if people receive the statements with country, hour , day of purchase it should be very difficult to "remove" sales
It definately happens in digital sales, if a distributer just decides one day to start ignoring you, then there's not a lot you can do other than look to legal avenues.

Or in my case - I'm off to kologne to leave a burning Sh1te on Michael Mayer's doorstep -twisted
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

AVX23 wrote: Or in my case - I'm off to kologne to leave a burning Sh1te on Michael Mayer's doorstep -twisted
is all that stuff still dragging on? did they burn loads of the labels?
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

I have never planned on making a dime. I decided long ago that music should accentuate your life rather than be your life. If music is all you have, you are missing out on a lot, especially if you are a poor musician. I use to d.j. gigs for free; and when I had collected enough mp3's of stuff I usually just grouped them together into a concept album and made it a free web download. These days I'm actually experiencing a change in methodology, and have become more interested in pitch than timbre. It will take some time, but I'm sure I will enjoy life more when I become a better musician.

peaces.
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

If music is all you have, you are missing out on a lot, especially if you are a poor musician

well this is a bit obvious it happens in music , sports , cinema , whatever
if u cant make it u must do something else for a living

reading your philosophy i start to think that some musicians are very generous people (not being ironic) because they give away theyr work
(assuming theyr work has quality and some value , i mean i give away clothes (but i dont consider myself generous cause they have some time and i just dont use them so im giving something wich has no value or interest to me)

the fact is , few people can live from music , and even few from records sold

i would prefer to be 42 hours per week in the studio and have a decent life doing what i like
than work 35 or 40 hours in some crap job being exploited earning half and only have time to do what i love 2 hours per day

the problem in underground music (in my opinion) is that to succeed u not only have to be a good producer u need to be a good dj or performer , a good manager , a good public relations ,
good salesmen etcetc
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

gustafsson wrote: the problem in underground music (in my opinion) is that to succeed u not only have to be a good producer u need to be a good dj or performer , a good manager , a good public relations ,
good salesmen etcetc
BINGO! All the guys I know who are successful at it, they are just that, good salesmen. I just don't have the energy for that game, and I know it!
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

pizzamon wrote:
gustafsson wrote: the problem in underground music (in my opinion) is that to succeed u not only have to be a good producer u need to be a good dj or performer , a good manager , a good public relations ,
good salesmen etcetc
BINGO! All the guys I know who are successful at it, they are just that, good salesmen. I just don't have the energy for that game, and I know it!
Exactly. I have better things to do than click "Add Friend" and spam people on Myspace all day... like making music, and wasting time on forums.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Castronova wrote:
pizzamon wrote:
good salesmen etcetc
Exactly. I have better things to do than click "Add Friend" and spam people on Myspace all day... like making music, and wasting time on forums.
It's one thing being a good at business and another clicking 'add friend' all day. I truly believe that in the end talent will always shine through; you just have to be patient. The problem I see nowadays is people want it too quickly, so they will do anything to get it. The way I see it is that music’s always going to be here, so what’s the rush?