survey: how much have you made by releasing music?

- ask away
ferdy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

survey: how much have you made by releasing music?

Post by ferdy »

So I was having an interesting night out at the bar with a few of my friends. out of us, I'm the only one who relies on releasing music to pay the monthly rent etc.

We were talking about income and how our individual jobs were going.

I argued that it was in fact almost impossible to live a good life with JUST releasing music. most of the money I make comes from the gigs on the weekends. I've been working part time now as the music sales are extremely low these days (probably due to recession and the overwhelming amount of digital only releases).

I came across the topic of income and beatport on this forum, but no one has really put figures on it.

I'm just curious as to how many of us have successfully made enough money to maintain a good standard of living, by good i mean, being able to pay the bills on time, having a bit of savings, and enough for entertainment. JUST from releasing music, not the gigs.

So lets start a poll and see what the maximum has been for any of us in this industry so far.

It would be better if any one who has made a substantial amount, share with us what sort of promotional effort they did for that release and if it charted, what number on the charts did it get on.

This should be an interesting survey... :!:

Per release:

Option 1:<$1000
Option 2: $1000-2000
Option 3: $2000-5000
Option 4: $5000+
Last edited by ferdy on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

already -800$
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

how would option 1, 2 and 3 be able to pay any bills in life???
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

patrick bateman wrote:how would option 1, 2 and 3 be able to pay any bills in life???

I could pay with option 2 or 3:

My Gas/Electric for a year, my cell phone for a year, sh!t with a g, I could almost feed myself for a year.

Those are some important bills.
ferdy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferdy »

edited!

:)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

are these options how much your made over a lifetime or per year? it's not very clear what you mean.
ferdy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferdy »

supposed to be per release.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

livecollective wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:how would option 1, 2 and 3 be able to pay any bills in life???

I could pay with option 2 or 3:

My Gas/Electric for a year, my cell phone for a year, sht with a g, I could almost feed myself for a year.

Those are some important bills.
Ha thats just my monthly rent.

I live off of music. I wouldnt say I have lots of money, but I enjoy my life and I can pay the bills which is what is imporant to me. As long as I have food on the table and some money for records/weed I'm happy.