Need some feedback on this...

- open
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Month of release > Style (February 09 > Techno / February 09 > Minimal)

Very simple and working great for me..
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i have a bunch of crates created by the main genre, and then sub genre's nested inside of those. i sort each track in however many different styles i feel it can fit in, that way i can mix by mood to whatever the room is feeling.

example...

minimal
-funky
-glitchy
-deeper
techhouse
-deeper
-soulful
techno
-detroit
-german
-acid
-dub
-electro
house
-deephouse
-microhouse
ambient/chill
-dub
tools
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

antonio_pt wrote:by labels my friend.
+
Also, lots of other goodies on this thread already.
I like the dates/months ideas, thanks guys.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Poolside wrote:I like the dates/months ideas, thanks guys.

i do that for new purchases, but i purge those crates after about three months and i remember the tracks when i scroll through.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

I usually just leave what I buy in the original download file (from Juno) and it works great for me seeing as I tend to buy larger batches rather than several small ones, so for me it's sorted by date.
dela
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dela »

first i download my purchases into subfolders labeled with the date of the DL (they stay archived like this in my 'music' folder on my C: drive). this is how they are saved on my actual computer.

but then, when i open traktor i use explorer to sort through those tracks and dump/analyze them seperately into pre-estalished sub categories within each genre... like this:

element.8 wrote:example...

minimal
-funky
-glitchy
-deeper
techhouse
-deeper
-soulful
techno
-detroit
-german
-acid
-dub
-electro
house
-deephouse
-microhouse
ambient/chill
-dub
tools
^^this is how they are categorized in the actual traktor program (ie. by genre>sound).

seems to work out just fine (and i can find what sound/track i'm looking for).

to make it even better however, i also use the comments section 1 in traktor to make notes on even more details about the track... lets say a certain track in my "minimal>bouncey" category has a long build-up or would be a good transition track from one style to the next... or as someone said, might make a good 'intro' track, for example.

i am also starting (when i can) to make notes in comment 2 for other tracks that go with the selected one. it tends to come in handy on marathon sets where i'm just throwing tracks in. really helps with the programing... and makes it not so blind out of a huge playlist.
Last edited by dela on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lostinmusiq
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by lostinmusiq »

this is my collection ...

divided in my fav. labels ... i put all the interesting releases of each labels at the folders ...

and other releases which label is not listed goes in the folder with the traktor scratch logo ... divided in month of release ...

and the same scheme in traktor scratch with playlist and everything works fine for me ...
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I use iTunes to make my playlists for Serato.

There's a playlist for every day that I get music. These get deleted after a few weeks.
I also have playlists with the contents of each music folder on my computer. My dance music is separated into seven folders, by genre.
And then, there are my set lists. I usually have a couple with current music and a few more with favorites that aren't so new.

Don't let iTunes create your folders.