Need some feedback on this...

- open
RIP Slim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Need some feedback on this...

Post by RIP Slim »

Im lost. I have no idea how to sort all my songs in Serato. Minimal tracks seemingly can be put into all kinds of different genres, and I don't wanna just do it by bpm cuz that's boring. The best thing I can come up with is organize 'em based on mood, like intro stuff, come up stuff, peak stuff, come down stuff, 3am stuff. I was just curious how everyone else sorts their tracks, cuz im having a hard time finding a way that suits me best. All I know is this having all my tracks in one folder crap don't do crap for me, I always seem to end up having the same kinda set everytime.
antonio_pt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by antonio_pt »

by labels my friend.
RIP Slim
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RIP Slim »

Haven't tried that yet actually, mainly cuz that would mean tons and tons of folders. I wanna try n keep that to a minimum. But i'll definitely try that next cuz nothing else has worked yet.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

if you dont start with labels.. then you may find yourself with a mass folder and digging through 100's of names / titles......just to find something specific..

that's not to say once in a while you may pick a few hand selcted tracks and add them into an ultra dance mix folder hahaha..

perhaps start with the artist name if nothing else....... until you get more than a few from each artist.. then worry about the labels at a later point.... to have some order ...

in the end (in my opinion) it comes down to time.. I choose to take short cuts only to have to start all over again at a later point.....

mood is sometimes nice as well.. / usually the quickest route to satisify a mood if sorted by mood....
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

yeah, that's an issue for me too.

First of all there's the organisation on my hard drive.
Secondly there's the organisation within my software (i use serato, crates and stuff)
And then there's the id3 tags.

I'm getting crazy with it!!!!

I'm still not good... advices are more then welcome

I got mainly all my mp3's from bitchport ;-) (yeah, I don't like the interface too, but they hava A LOT of stuff + I can keep track of my favs artist and labels, and the id3 tags are ok)

For a while I used to retag all my new mp3's, I did like to have it all in uppercase and added the label tag if not present, then I renamed the file and put everything in one big mp3 folder.
But the renaming of tags and files even if automated (i use mp3tag) is still a lot of work (and it's the kind of work I really don't like) so I stopped doing it.

Now I download my tracks every month in a new folder, so I got a 'Beatport music 2008-12' folder and a 'Beatport music 2009-01' folder and so on. I don't rename anymore, just the files as they are downloaded. I leave the tags as they are. I decided for myself that organizing on hard drive is not that important as long as you have a player that correctly reads the mp3 tags enabling you to quickly find your tracks.

In Serato I add the folders in a crate called Beatport Music (1 subcrate each month). Then I start sorting track in other crates I have made, mainly by mood, I avoid naming crates by styles tho, or only very top level styles, like techno, house, hiphop, rock. I don't start with substyles, because then I really get crazy.

That's how I work now, even if I feel it could be a little bit/a lot better.

I didn't try to organize by label, except for some label I have a lot of, I don't do it for labels I only have a couple of tracks, but then again this is al within my serato crates, not on my hard drive.
minimal my ass !
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

i use traktor scrach for browsing, then i use the stars rate to set the kind of track.
for ex:
* dark stuff
** techno one
*** housy one
**** super duper
in serato there is the comment section, that works even better...
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

jaco wrote: in serato there is the comment section, that works even better...
Comment section :!: That's awesome
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I sort via itunes and here I do these things.

1. Genre is filled out on ALL fucking tracks, it takes some hours the first time you have to do it, but then you just have to remember to do it when you put in new tracks. I have 11 genres and can browse through this in Serato.
But this is still quite crazy, cause if you have 3-4-5000 tracks, you can imagine how many tracks you need to browse through.

2. I create playlists in itunes (I guess you could also just create crates in Serato). These playlists are 2008-November, 2008-December, 2009-January and so forth. I put in all new tracks I get in one month into the corresponding playlist for easy access.

3. I have also created a playlist called classics. In here it's all the old classic tracks/hits what ever.

That's how I do it. I guess you just have to try it out.
Good luck.