advice on setting up a new label??

- open
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

sh!t... you are my exception mike because I love your tracks :lol:

I just think that when you just give music with no art behind, it's most of the time just mediocre.

It's the everlasting debate around "only the music counts" and "everything around music make the music better for sure".
michielwijnen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by michielwijnen »

hehe thx!

No but i can see where you come from... :)
was just jokin
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

best advice ive heard is

- surround yourself by people that are honest to you, not just cheerleaders

- make sure that you expect nothing in return, so that anything is a success
signatures suck
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Dragonsand wrote:Make something with soul.
Make very good artworks.
Write beautiful track titles.

Avoid the easy concept of saying "only the music counts! Good music I dance, not good music I not dance". Most of the time it's a shitty argument for empty tracks.

Be an art label before being a music label, because there's too much music labels.

Good luck! :)
Art is definitely our primary focus. I would rather release just a single track that makes someone want to listen than to release 100 tracks that only makes them want to dance.

We've got a couple of photographers, graphic artists and videographers involved so the label will also be quite strong visually.

mlexicon wrote:- surround yourself by people that are honest to you, not just cheerleaders

One of the things about living in Ireland is... if your getting a little too big for your boots no one will be shy about knocking you down to size again ;)
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

Yeah, I actually didn't write that right in my first post. If you're not making anything groundbreaking/original AND noone else is taking it, most likely it is something that isn't wanted.

I agree the best way to go is with beatiful original music but also good artwork, titles etc.... just put as much effort into it as possible and (hopefully) you'll see something in return.
John Steward
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by John Steward »

I run a record label. You can hit me up on AIM via 'stumastadeepsoul' if you have any questions
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

Coincidence Records started as a digital label but we released also some vinyls. Some full EP's but also a sampler with tracks from different releases. But we released the sampler with the best tracks from each release before releasing the digital EP's.

And there are many labels who started as digital and released some vinyls afterwards.

The advice: don't expect a lot in return is a very good advice. It takes time to build your profile and get known.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

mlexicon wrote:best advice ive heard is

- surround yourself by people that are honest to you, not just cheerleaders

nice one. sums it up basically.