advice on setting up a new label??

- open
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

advice on setting up a new label??

Post by agodi »

I'm currently going through the process of setting up a new label with a couple of friends and knowing that there are quite a few label managers on here, I was wondering what kind of advice you could give me?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Don't do it unless you got lot's of money.
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

I've never managed one, but I believe the best advice would be: don't do it to release your own music nobody else wanted.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Gummo wrote:I've never managed one, but I believe the best advice would be: don't do it to release your own music nobody else wanted.
worst advice ever!
many labels started that way!

if you're thinking about a vinyl label i would also say don't do it, simply because there are already so many labels out there
but if you think you can make a difference, then go for it
just be prepared to lose a lot of money

but what exactly do you want to know? because a lot of things can be said about setting up a label
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

dsat wrote:
Gummo wrote:I've never managed one, but I believe the best advice would be: don't do it to release your own music nobody else wanted.
worst advice ever!
many labels started that way!

if you're thinking about a vinyl label i would also say don't do it, simply because there are already so many labels out there
but if you think you can make a difference, then go for it
just be prepared to lose a lot of money

but what exactly do you want to know? because a lot of things can be said about setting up a label
Well of course we always say 'dont do it'.
But it's true as you write, that if you really think you have something exciting up your sleeve, then go for it.

But yeah, what kind of advices are you looking for?
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

I realize that vinyl is expensive and unfortunately I dont think it will be be an option for us, for the first year at least.

Have any of you guys started with digital only labels and then expand to include vinyl at a later stage?

One of my proposals is to re-release an album on vinyl with our best selling tracks at the end of the year. Could something like this work?

Our plan is to have 3-4 releases ready to go before we start and to maintain a backlog of 3-4 releases so that we'll keep 6 months ahead of ourselves. Is this enough of a backlog?

How do you copyright a track?

Can anyone recommend a good digital distributor?
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Dragonsand »

Make something with soul.
Make very good artworks.
Write beautiful track titles.

Avoid the easy concept of saying "only the music counts! Good music I dance, not good music I not dance". Most of the time it's a shitty argument for empty tracks.

Be an art label before being a music label, because there's too much music labels.

Good luck! :)
michielwijnen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by michielwijnen »

Dragonsand wrote:Good music I dance, not good music I not dance
What's wrong with this statement... it's been on my myspace since the beginning :lol: