Field Recorder

- ask away
lauschpegel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lauschpegel »

the fostex is way too big.. wanna carry it around all along.
I think I'll buy the olympus ls10. strange it's so much cheaper in gb!
Josie K
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Josie K »

You really can't go wrong with the Olympus 8)
My music at | Soundcloud | MySpace |
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Ok ...

Wouldn't the sound quality mainly depend on the quality of the microphone? What if I have a really good quality microphone and I plugged it into a laptop and record at 24bit, would that be better quality than the olympus and all these other devices?
andy james
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andy james »

+1 on the olympus

however

the pocketrack cx looks nice as well
lauschpegel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lauschpegel »

Wouldn't the sound quality mainly depend on the quality of the microphone? What if I have a really good quality microphone and I plugged it into a laptop and record at 24bit, would that be better quality than the olympus and all these other devices?
yeah I think so.
quality must be better..particularly when you got a good preamp

the pocketrak cx just records in 12 bit like the other pocketrak
Josie K
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Josie K »

stevësto wrote:Ok ...

Thats correct by any means, but what kind of microphone are you referring to? If it's not an ultra high quality microphone in the 1000 € plus league, you are most likely not going to hear the difference.
Most of the recording devices discussed in this thread have a stereo microphone and can do at least 44.1kHz at 24bit depth, so if the built in microphone is not complete garbage you should get top results. The one on my Olympus is very good from what I know.
The other factor is, that these devices are built for convenience. Of course you get better results when you bring your whole studio and to record something, but if you just want to get some nice ambiences on a stroll across mid-summer berlin or sneak your recorder in some shady venue to secretly record your favourite DJ you are most likely not bringing your Laptop and an ultra expensive microphone with you.
My music at | Soundcloud | MySpace |
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Josie K wrote:
stevësto wrote:Ok ...

Thats correct by any means, but what kind of microphone are you referring to? If it's not an ultra high quality microphone in the 1000 € plus league, you are most likely not going to hear the difference.
Most of the recording devices discussed in this thread have a stereo microphone and can do at least 44.1kHz at 24bit depth, so if the built in microphone is not complete garbage you should get top results. The one on my Olympus is very good from what I know.
The other factor is, that these devices are built for convenience. Of course you get better results when you bring your whole studio and to record something, but if you just want to get some nice ambiences on a stroll across mid-summer berlin or sneak your recorder in some shady venue to secretly record your favourite DJ you are most likely not bringing your Laptop and an ultra expensive microphone with you.
everything you said sounds right. my girlfriend has this silver directional mic. its interesting because its very directional (i.e. if you talk into it you hear nothing unless you point it exactly at your mouth). she said its supposed to be used with a dish around it (she lost the dish) that she used in college to point at birds and record different bird calls. it can pick up sounds from far away that you specifically point at.
neverever
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by neverever »

using Edirol R-09 myself , excellent quality for the price range