Propellerhead Reason 4.0?

- ask away
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

sven laux wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:It really is as simple as this... If you think Reason is sht, you cant use it properly....Same can be said for any other DAW..
i share this opinion too. if you understand a program correctly, then you are possible to work with it in a productive way - and you get the results you want to have.
I understantd it, but, "for me" a sequencer let you integer some of of the outside world, neather export it. reason is locked.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

if you use ableton WITH reason..

you can do just that - using reason just for the inside sequence..

using ableton for the outside as your referring to - looping - live instraments recording - ect... on the fly..
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Storlon wrote:
sven laux wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:It really is as simple as this... If you think Reason is sht, you cant use it properly....Same can be said for any other DAW..
i share this opinion too. if you understand a program correctly, then you are possible to work with it in a productive way - and you get the results you want to have.
I understantd it, but, "for me" a sequencer let you integer some of of the outside world, neather export it. reason is locked.
What do you mean by saying 'outside world'? If its synths you're after just use the ones in Reason. If you want to import drums into a drum machine, use the Redrum and if you want to import samples into a sampler use the samplers.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

john clees wrote:
I just thought in 3.0 - exported out sounded a bit over compressed.. I use 3.0 and use it through ableton. sequencing in reason and use abelton which to me exporting out sounds a bit warmer than reason solo.. however:their are many variables and also it depends on your sound card and how you individually mix down
I haven't checked this myself but there's a way to find out if rendered audio from within Reason ( or Live or anywhere els for that matter ) is different from the live sequencing audio.

Render the session, then invert phase it. Ensure the file is sample accurate and load it back into the project. If there's no difference between rendering and live stream, you should hear absolutely nothing.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ableton Live 7

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Zsa Zsa wrote:
Jarno wrote:
tone-def wrote:
nospin wrote: - sound is good, "better" than reason...
Have they improved the sound that much in version 7?

if your thinking of changing you might want to consider fruity loops.

Fruity Loops? Are you serious? i thought that its a program for amateurs..
It's funny how FL is referred to as a toy upon people's first impression. Granted its appearance seems rather 'toy'ish', which could create the illusion of an amateur piece of software... but its capabilities can really speak for themselves.

It seems the more complex software appears to be, the more 'professional' the rep. This is not the case at all. You want a program you can really sink your teeth into, which will allow you to master it efficiently, thus creating the proper output. Any software that allows me to move through it freely, will in turn allow me to create to my fullest potential. FL apparently has this quality.

The last thing on earth you need is to get stuck with the tidbit technical aspects while you're having a creative apifiny. Nothing kills your groove more!

I'm a Reason and Ableton user myself, but its good to change things up. Reason is just an odd program and the sequencer is like sitting on a chair with pine cones -- there is just something really uncomfortable about it. But I got used to it, so I've been hooked on it for the past couple of years. I love the ReDrum, but its seriously the only part I use now.

FL here I come! :)
I think you will like the ease of the FL interface. I used to use it when I first started dabbleing in production. The biggest advantage that I found is in relation to arranging drum patterns. I like that you are able to see all of your drums at one time. It makes writing beats between different drums a lot easier if you are a visual thinker.

Redrum can be frustrating to work with. While I like the ability to adjust all of the little perameters on the drums. I find it so frusterating flipping between the blocks of patterns.

This frustration is compounded if you try to compose at a resolution of 1/64... man, you have to flip between the 4 blocks just to write a 4 beat loop... its ridiculous. . Trying to write drums in the sequencer is not fun in the least. FL is much easier to make beats if you are using a mouse.

If you have good midi hardware to interface with reason then its a solid peice of software to work with. The best grooves are rarely going to be right in sync to the quantized to 16ths so just playing the grooves into the sequencer is the easiest for me

I have my eye on these bad boys right here for my next investment.. its only $160 CDN a peice. Pretty reasonable for the utility it will afford you. There is nothing more annoying then using a controller with only few knobs.

http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I think Reason is a great peice of software if you approach it like it was meant to be used. Pretend its actually a rack of equipment and go to town. A lot of expensive sound modules aren't doing anything much more complicated or better then whats going on in Reason so its really a matter of your mastery of the software. I think the trick is to bring all of your own sound materials into the program. The advanced sampler is wicked.

A lot of people don't seem to like subtractor but I am always discovering new ways to work it and create new sounds. I have made a few tracks where almost nothing changes but the parameters on the synth. Rex is pretty cool to.

The only thing that I am not crazy about is the quality of the effects but I think that can be over come by rewiring it into a multitrack recorder.

Alright... I am rambling now..