Propellerhead Reason 4.0?

- ask away
WoodwindLagoon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WoodwindLagoon »

I've never thought about trying Reason, but I hesitate now.
Just a question : the bank sound in Reason has been created thanks to the synths of Reason? Can we manipulate it thanks to a a high number of articulations and velocities?
and, finally, if I'm right, in Reason you just can import refill format, so you can't import wav., etc?
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

ehh nono you can import seperate wavs too, otherwise.. well, it would be unusable :P
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

WoodwindLagoon wrote: Just a question : the bank sound in Reason has been created thanks to the synths of Reason? Can we manipulate it thanks to a a high number of articulations and velocities?
What does that even mean?
Layborn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Layborn »

The only thing I use from Reason is the redrum. There are lots of tricks one can use to manipulate the sounds you dump in there. Really its no different than say using any drum pattern sequencer . Plus it looks neat.
Plus you have to remember Reason is not just used for electronic musicians..so there are alot of things one may not need.
A friend of mine uses it for additional pads or orchestral in hardcore punk acts, thus its "studio rack look".

Sad part about it tho?..I hear presets from Reason in commercials for makeup..lol

As for building the track in Reason..completely..sorry its more of a additional tool. Pretty much what suz said about it.

I'm using FL Producer edition and the sound engine on it is shockingly clean..strangely always has been, don't pay attention to the aesthetics its always looked like weird cartoon tic-tacs ..There is lots to do and manipulate.
The Slayer plug in is amazingly fun.

Use what works for you.

Pretty much what everyone else has said...hmmmmm...
*fart*
-Layborn-
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Does FL have multi-core support?

I'm not sure how this is implemented in Reason, as far as I am aware, there's no dedicated support but its CPU handling seems to suggest otherwise.

Any of the busy demo songs don't even begin to touch the CPU meter so it must be using more than 1 of my cores.
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

Layborn wrote: Sad part about it tho?..I hear presets from Reason in commercials for makeup..lol
thats how it should be... presets should only be used in boring commercial music, and boring commercials should just stay away from original music.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

back in the day I enjoyed fruity loops but didn't have a up scale version which allowed you to record movement. - which they have addressed 10 times over...

it took me at least a year to get comfortable with reason.. now I don't seem to run into brick walls with ideas..

fruity loops even back then is more... jump n go ...

I enjoy my sound now better than before (but) - that was my own personal development through sound and frequencies.. and more or less has nothing to do with the (format) in which is was used to develop.

WoodwindLagoon wrote:Can we manipulate it thanks to a a high number of articulations and velocities?

to address the question I think is being asked.. SURE you can spend 10,000 hours trying to alter factory settings ... but your time is better spend buying hardware on ebay or a plug in. I found factory reason settings sound extremely chiming.. so no matter how must work you put in to making them sound different - (to me) they seem to always have a non-warm / (I used software) - feel. coming out - chiming sounding - just my opinion.

I'm a hardware junkie for life...: keyboards I've bought for $1800 are now on ebay for close to apx $300-$400 makes me cry... haha

in the end just like anything reason is a tool - not an end all..

just one - of many that will be in your arsenal.
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

A made a couple of tracks with Reason, saying to a other producers and friends from the scene that i made it with Pro Tools.

Nobody said i sounded reason-ish. :lol:

Just use external samples, no inhouse soundbanks en finish off with a decent mastering program like T-racks or Ozone and nobody will hear the difference. Especially not, when there is dope and dance in the house... and hearing your track in a club is the ultimate goal, not?