coloured vinyl

- ask away
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I have a lot of coloured vinyls, and even more black ones, and it's my impression that overall the coloured ones have more background noise. Not so sure about the wearing-off thing. I suspect it depends on the pressing since I have some black vinyl that's wearing off a lot faster.

Some of the Minus vinyls for example, played 20-times and they sound like they're 20 years old. Or the new Scuba LP: really terrible pressing! There's some really heavy vinyl noise even after it was played only two ore three times, which is really strange because it came from Precise Mastering.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:I'm going freerotation.
How are you getting there? You only live round the corner from me...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

AVX23 wrote:That's mental Torque, very interesting, I would have thought it would be more down to the mix consistency of the pigments and vinyl than the colour itself. I'm also thinking that there are different grades of vinyl thickness and quality, some plants charge extra for that heavyweight cut, so would it be possible that it's all down to the price you pay and the plant you use ?

If it was me I'd probably spend the money on getting really nice card for the sleeve and do a nice matt finish print with a free postcard or something like that.

Lots of nice Artwork for the MT stable to choose from I'm sure :)
Yeah, some of the pigments do something to the hardness or softness of the vinyl.
As for the thickness i'm not that huge a fan of vinyl that's too thick either because it doesn't wear well most of the time. Going too heavy is a waste of money really. Making records is expensive enough without it. I would also say to not bother with getting the plastic shrink wrap on your record either because sometimes in the record shop if the temperature is not controlled the plastic can shrink and warp the record.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote: my mate also pointed out that you can never be sure that black vinyl hasnt been recycled, but i do know that my pressing plant uses virgin.

so black it is.
Don't be afraid of regrind it's actually good to have a little in the vinyl, it helps the highs come through clearer, and the records wear much better. Just make sure that there isn't too much regrind in the mixture. People are wary of regrind because of the old Trax records out of chicago. Those were something like 90% regrind. Don't be afraid, a little is good. 100% virgin vinyl is a little too soft IMO.