coloured vinyl

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

coloured vinyl

Post by steevio »

does anyone have any definitive information about coloured vinyl, other than heresay.
i'm finding it almost impossible to get concrete info on the sound quality of coloured vinyl.
usually everyone says it sounds inferior because there is no carbon in it therefore it wears out quicker, and heats up when playing.
but when i asked my pressing plant they said that while it may not last quite as long, there is no difference in sound quality, and that the longevity issue is over-emphasized.
anyone got any info ?
Smear
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Smear »

I've had coloured/picture discs from 94 and 95 and they've been fine for years so i'd guess it is just one of those myths. Never noticed say, the difference in sound quality between a new coloured record and say, a regular record on the same label by the same artist. I'm assuming the longevity thing's an issue, but a pretty minor one.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: coloured vinyl

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:does anyone have any definitive information about coloured vinyl, other than heresay.
i'm finding it almost impossible to get concrete info on the sound quality of coloured vinyl.
usually everyone says it sounds inferior because there is no carbon in it therefore it wears out quicker, and heats up when playing.
but when i asked my pressing plant they said that while it may not last quite as long, there is no difference in sound quality, and that the longevity issue is over-emphasized.
anyone got any info ?
Steevio.

Were going to press onto colored vinyl for our limited series. I havent got the records pressed yet, but i'm certain the sound quality is exactly the same. I'm going to the pressing plant tomorrow at 3pm so ill ask them for you and post up what they said in the evening sometime.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I have one or two coloured vinyls. never heard any diffrence so i guess there isnt any noticeble diffrence in sound quality.
cant tell about the life leanght, never wear out any vinyl.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

As far as I know the real quality difference is regarding picture disc's...
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

i remeber a post from Torque talkin about the differeces between coloured and normal vinyl...
i remeber him also saying there were even differences between diffent colours...
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

topperanza wrote: i remeber him also saying there were even differences between diffent colours...
That's also what I remember to have heard...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think there's virtually no difference between colours, (apart from black)
raw vinyl is clear, and the colour is just a polymer pigment.
there is more likely to be differences from different pressing plants, as they mix the pigment and PVC on site, so bad mixing or incorrect temperature is more likely to cause differences.
as far as i'm aware, the black pigment is carbon which has a low coefficient of friction, and a lubricative effect, and thats why they use it, but dont quote me.