full time job leaves no time for producing

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I can touch the daws during the week, i just need to chill.... weekend is where its at, but then theres still things that get in my god damned way...

Oh well!
unsaturated
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by unsaturated »

I take the train to work and make music on my laptop on the way to work and on the way home. I get samples and synth patches together at home, and do a bit of arrangement there too. I don't get much time, but I seem to be able to finish a decent song every two weeks. I think for me the issue was accepting my tunes for what they are, and not feeling like I am deficient just because I my tunes aren't on a big label. Before that I wasn't making music for myself, I wasn't being authentic.

I'm not sure how you can overcome your dissatisfaction, but I overcame mine by getting exercise on a daily basis (except one day a week) and doing some meditation on a weekly basis at the San Francisco Zen Center which is pretty awesome.

I think that worrying about running out of time should be the least of your problems. How old are you? I was feeling the same way like 3 years ago when I was 23. Remember that anything good is difficult. You should try being glad for your difficulties, they are a part of your life.

Do what you gotta do, but leave the worry about not creating an album behind. Here's why I don't worry: If I can do something about the thing I'm worrying about then do so as best as I can; otherwise there's nothing I can do about it so worrying is only going to take energy away from whatever else I might be able to do.

To be honest, I would trade my music in for the people I love in a heartbeat. Luckily as long as I'm willing to compromise a little bit, I don't have to.
_Mark
Brian Ffar
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brian Ffar »

Something's gotta give, and from my personal experience, it's sleep.

Quite honestly, I prefer to work full time. It allows me to live the life I want to live, and actually enjoy maknig music instead of having it feel like it's a job.

Stay up late, go to work tired. There's your answer.

I find that I am most productive musically after everyone has gone to bed.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I work fulltime have a wife and a family, getting tracks signed to bigger and betterlabels every month and I alos run my own digital label.

Basically a get home from work at 5 spend time with my daughter till she goes to sleep at 8, then my wife gets the next two hours till ten. Then I spend from about 10-2am working n music every night.

Basically I just cut down on my sleep to 5 hours a night. It is tough to get so little sleep but I want to succeed as we all do and thats what I have to do to get it done.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

victorgonzales wrote:I work fulltime have a wife and a family, getting tracks signed to bigger and betterlabels every month and I alos run my own digital label.

Basically a get home from work at 5 spend time with my daughter till she goes to sleep at 8, then my wife gets the next two hours till ten. Then I spend from about 10-2am working n music every night.

Basically I just cut down on my sleep to 5 hours a night. It is tough to get so little sleep but I want to succeed as we all do and thats what I have to do to get it done.
wow man that's kinda hectic
i don't know if i could deal with all that, but some people are made for it
it's different for everybody
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Torque wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:I work fulltime have a wife and a family, getting tracks signed to bigger and betterlabels every month and I alos run my own digital label.

wow man that's kinda hectic
i don't know if i could deal with all that, but some people are made for it
it's different for everybody
Yeah Im used to it. I dont even get tired till about 1 am even though I get up at 7 am every day. Im still young though.(24) I imagine it will get harder as I get older.
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

so I think this is a concern for many of us at some point. Some are lucky and have families that can support them until he or she is up and running.. others like me have to work. So, I don't sleep but about 5-6 hours during the week. I DJ at least once sometimes twice a week and also produce music. I have girl I see from time to time but she has a caree and ambition so its not overly time consuming (the key is someone you don't have to have up your ass all day). Truely exercise is key. I hit a hudge lull and started exercising and it has helped a lot... Now i get home, go for a walk or jog and the hit some free weights for a bit and after 45 min an hour I'm motivated to get something done... If your not motivated, just mix some tunes or listen to music (of any kind)... ANd take it slow... I worked on so much at once that I got over whelmed... I think it was because I was producing for about a month and got some thing out and I was like, sh!t I need more asap... well that only slowed me down. SO work on a couple tunes, don't over think them and keep yourself busy... I am luck that my day job alows me the time to dig through charts, forums, online sh!t etc but you are in IT... why not ;)
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

unsaturated wrote:I take the train to work and make music on my laptop on the way to work and on the way home.
that's really cool
i'd like to work up something like that (i just need a laptop first hehe)