steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:
pheek wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: Yeah I look forward to when I get afford to get a studio. Thing is London is so expensive I really dont think its going to happen anytime soon.
London... mate, that must be a nightmare fee indeed! Montreal's the poorest metropolitan city in North america so we're spoiled :)
Yeah its well expensive. For just the one room your looking at about £200 a month, but I'm paying £1200 a month for rent on my flat so dont reallywant to add anything else on top of that.
man i dont get why underground musicians live in london, £1200 for a flat jeez, thats nearly 3 times what we pay for a huge detached 4 bedroom house in it's own grounds, including all the bills, heating, electricity, council tax, the lot. in wales.
and its not like theres no music scene here either, i usually enjoy myself more out here than i ever do in london. clubs like fabric are the pits, i've never been to a more unfriendly club. ok i'm being unfair theres some good nights on in london, but is it worth it ? how do you survive ?
neighbours ?, we call them sheep here.
I wouldn't say Fabric is the pits, granted its not as friendly as a lot of other places, but the line-ups are the best in the country. There are lots of great nights on in London every single week, most days of the week. I moved to London 4 months ago and music wise things have sky rocketed for me. London is a great place to live if you want to get move up in the world of music, just like Berlin I guess if you were German.

It really does depend on what you want in life. Me moving to London has helped me as a producer and has helped my label loads.
I suppose it really depends on lots of factors, i know lots of people who moved to london and didnt move up in the music world because they spend most of their time just surviving. with the internet nowadays you can live on the top of a mountain and still be totally involved in the music scene. its totally down to the quality of your music, and not where you live.
you've done well and its cool its worked for you in such a short space of time, you must be doing something very right, but theres loads of people who struggle.
there's a big difference in berlin, it's one of the few places you can live the bohemian lifestyle because its so cheap, no wonder many british musicians move over there, but its not easy to break through there because there's so many electronic musicians living there, and competition for gigs is fierce.
my comments about fabric were misplaced in a thread about neighbours,
but its my opinion, i dont really care what the line-up in a club is, if i cant dance beacause theres no room, and the atmosphere is non existant, give me an intimate party with quality underground artists any day.
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

All my neighbors in the States have been awesome, but that's living in a house and not an apartment. I just warn them ahead of time before parties and invite them over for a drink. The only problem I ever had with neighbors was a massive brawl that almost turned into a knifefight while I was living in the ghetto, haha.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I think heavilly about where Im gonna set up my studio BEFORE I mmove somewhere. If there isn't a place I can isolate the moise at a decentlly loud volume I wont move there.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I only get complaints when they watch the TV.
royen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by royen »

Never had any complaints, but I had to ask my previous neighbours to turn down their crappy euro-trance several times. They would play that sh!t at ridiculous levels at the strangest times (ie, 2 am on a monday).

Swedes don't usually complain though, they just let the pressure build up for years and then start bad-mouthing you to the other neighbours until, eventually, you are forced to leave :)
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

royen wrote:Swedes don't usually complain though, they just let the pressure build up for years and then start bad-mouthing you to the other neighbours until, eventually, you are forced to leave :)
:shock: :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the funniest thing happened to me when i lived in the city, i had a flat in newcastle for about 15 years, and for the last 8 i was making techno, and i properly soundproofed a small bedroom as my studio. i had neighbours either side and down stairs, a mixed bag, an old lady one side, a big chinese family the other, and a single woman downstairs etc., and in 8 years of pounding 909 kickdrums i never had one single complaint, that was until the old lady moved out and a bunch of students moved in. the first day they moved in, they came banging on my door, i told them to go away, then they started incessantly banging on my wall whenever i was in the studio, it got to the point where i just exploded, i went round and gave them an angry geordie dressing down about how i'd lived there all that time without a single complaint, they moved out shortly after and everything returned to normal.

students just arent what they used to be.
viva hate
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by viva hate »

I live in my studio rather than have a studio in my home.
I have one room with a mattress and records, the other room has nothing but 202, 303, 505, 606, 808, 909 and so on.
Never had any complains whatsoever. On the other hand, I have no door bell, hehe.