Howto: Funky bass?

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

oh and download the free, but excellent synth1. you can make some real nice basses with it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Sounds very FM to me, there's a billion and one patches available for the FM8 that would cut this sound, from DX7 imports via sys ex to FM7 imports. With some tweaking a Fretless patch or a Slap Bass patch would get you close. The Slap bass would obviously have to be tamed on the highs and the Fretless hardened a little and given the attack needed but FM has some really realistic bass patches that sound exactly like this.

As for the playing style, you need to play 2 handed and use octaves. I'm a keyboardist and I tend to have a funky style of playing by nature, it's weird how people want to play that style and there's me who tries to eliminate it from my playing to get more 'technoey'. :x
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

AK wrote:Sounds very FM to me, there's a billion and one patches available for the FM8 that would cut this sound, from DX7 imports via sys ex to FM7 imports. With some tweaking a Fretless patch or a Slap Bass patch would get you close. The Slap bass would obviously have to be tamed on the highs and the Fretless hardened a little and given the attack needed but FM has some really realistic bass patches that sound exactly like this.

As for the playing style, you need to play 2 handed and use octaves. I'm a keyboardist and I tend to have a funky style of playing by nature, it's weird how people want to play that style and there's me who tries to eliminate it from my playing to get more 'technoey'. :x
Thank you for the good tips, especially on playing. I like the deep, crispy, minimal technoey bass sound but now i'm really into getting the fonky fresh (french?) house bass. I think i need it in my production repertoire.

Is FM a freeware VST? Where can i buy/download it?
BTW, found another (almost obvious) example of the funky bass at it's prime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6WEGRRB6t8
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

No, FM is a type of synthesis made famous by Yamaha's DX7. There's been a revival of that sound as of late though.

There's probably quite a few synths around that do it in software, it's just that the only thing I have that does it is FM8 by Native Instruments. It's notorious for it's headache programming too btw.

You might be better off going the subtractive synth route then, if you have the minimoog V try that as has been suggested. You have 3 oscillators there, set one to a sine, 1 to a square and 1 to a saw, the square needs to be set to a Pulse by right clicking ( if I remember right ) until you get it sounding a little thinner and not so hollow.

The sine should provide the weight and the saw will add harmonics. Fast attack and decay, short release on the AMP envelopes. Similar stuff with the filter envelopes, you want twangy attacks, velocity to filter sensitivity too for bass guitar type sounds. The Pulse width is important here though, experiment with its width to find the point where it seems nearest. Too much and it will sound like a clav, too little and it will just sound hollow.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

After listening to the 2nd clip by Daft punk, I think you definitely should check out FM synthesis. You will find those sounds you are looking for but remember the playing style has a lot to do with it as well, good playing makes a lot of difference.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

You dont need a minimoog really, most synths are perfectly capable, i just love the moog for its super-realistic, super-processor crippling soft clipping feature...

Amazing vst, id love the hardware....

Rememeber you want a fast attack / decay, NOT the fastest, you need to get a twang type modulation going...

And your sustain volume needs to be pretty high to give you max flexibility....

FM would be the best for producing a real sounding guitar sound, but real sounding isnt nessacariliy better in my opinion...

Nice music taste as well brother, post some of your stuff on the members track section when you feel ready to..!
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

AK wrote:Sounds very FM to me, there's a billion and one patches available for the FM8 that would cut this sound, from DX7 imports via sys ex to FM7 imports.
funny you said that - I was going to say "Lately Bass" (kinda sorta?)
at least my first reaction was: FM synth. This sound will never die, it's great wonderful almost required (for me that is)
Korg - ESX
Korg - EMX
Launchpad
Nocturn
AK1
HP Laptop running Live 8.1.3
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

well personally i don't think that bassline was that funky but the secret to that kind of sound is not the actual sound used, it's the placement. All that bassline really does is hit on the syncopation spots. If you want a really funky bassline hire Bootsy Collins and have him come into the studio.