Gaiser

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

New Guy wrote: the more time you spend with something, suffering to solve it the more rewarding the fruit of it will be. it makes you stronger to swet blood over something.
nicely said dude! for some that might sound like a bunch of crap, but in reality it's the truth. i wonder how many people believe in that.

people who take music serious and to their heart don't waste their time going around asking others how is this or that achieved, but learn by themselves. gaiser sounds really good for me and in the beginning i really wanted to incorporate his way in my music, but the more i wanted the more i got frustrated because i never managed to come close. which leads to my signature.

people should understand that copying someone elses sound is a sign of weakness a sign of disrespect for yourself. everyone is unique and we all learn the same principles, but the beautiful ironoy of it is that you'll never come across a person who will translate those princliples in the same way as you do.

so basicly what i'm trying to say "again and again" is don't waste your time trying to get into the nuts and bolts of gaiser's or anyone elses techinques because you'll never manage and it will only bring you alot of frustration, which then ties to loosing perspective of creativity.

the answer to your life lies in your heart, not in others!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Second Hi 5 !

:lol:
andei
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by andei »

while i agree on some of the things said here, i differ on one particulary aspect.
I'll try to ilustrate it with an example as my english is really bad nowadays. When i bought a guitar being a teenager i struggled to be able to play chords right and everything, but my inmediate response wasn't to start composing some original tunes right away; instead i looked out for tabs online of my favourite bands, and having fun playing their songs made me learn a lot about guitar playing and music itself, which makes any song i could write now more interesting than a 3 bare chord tune i would have wrote back then.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

their point is if you hand someone the keys to a ferrari and say here u go have fun. that youll never appreciate it as much as the person that had to work and sweat for that ferrari and can remember the days when he had to take the bus to get to work.

which is a good point, but there are some....maye its few....but there are some that would appreciate and realize what your handing them or telling/ teaching them

id rather attempt to teach than tell them to fuk off....if they ask the same question again though cuz they just forgot....they can get the fuk off
signatures suck
wtf
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wtf »

this music is sort of unique in that people who write the music typically produce themselves. That's not the case in many other kinds of music and because of that I think many newbie-type people approach it with a "I'm going to figure this out! ok, how do you do it?" attitude, because there is just so much to it that seems technical. It's easy to overlook the fact that making great tracks requires some musical input - something not everybody is a natural at. Besides, there is no way that you can be equally amazing at every aspect of this stuff. Maybe you're really tech savvy and you can arrange interesting sampled stuff in a sequencer, but you can't write a melody to save your life. Or maybe vice versa and computers/sequencers just baffle you. I think the difference between *writing* music and *producing* music doesn't get mentioned enough.
Many of these questions sound like they're asking about writing music (how can I write songs that sound like Gaiser?), but I think they are usually more about producing music (what sort of tools does Gaiser use?). I think it's totally valid to ask what tools your favorite producer uses. Why not? There are so many vsts, synths, etc out there. You've got to have some way of figuring out what to use.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I suggest you diving into modular stuff, maybe reaktor (or max/msp or whatever) and start building your own machines and then develop them under a long time while experimenting making tracks with them. figure out ways how you want everything to sound and create an instrument that is aimed for that kind work....

I think gaisier is working on such a level too in some way. alot generative stuff maybe? I don't know, haven't heard that many tracks as I'm not really interested in his sound, but from what I've heard I'd say so.

however, there is cool stuff to be made this way, autechre, twerk... I could go on forever.

this won't lead you into making gaiser-tracks, but however a bit closer to work in a similar way.

okay, that will keep you busy for some years ahead,
good luck ;)
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

New Guy wrote:Second Hi 5 !

:lol:
my hand hurts :mrgreen:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
The_Glass_Olive
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The_Glass_Olive »

wtf wrote:this music is sort of unique in that people who write the music typically produce themselves. That's not the case in many other kinds of music and because of that I think many newbie-type people approach it with a "I'm going to figure this out! ok, how do you do it?" attitude, because there is just so much to it that seems technical. It's easy to overlook the fact that making great tracks requires some musical input - something not everybody is a natural at. Besides, there is no way that you can be equally amazing at every aspect of this stuff. Maybe you're really tech savvy and you can arrange interesting sampled stuff in a sequencer, but you can't write a melody to save your life. Or maybe vice versa and computers/sequencers just baffle you. I think the difference between *writing* music and *producing* music doesn't get mentioned enough.
Many of these questions sound like they're asking about writing music (how can I write songs that sound like Gaiser?), but I think they are usually more about producing music (what sort of tools does Gaiser use?). I think it's totally valid to ask what tools your favorite producer uses. Why not? There are so many vsts, synths, etc out there. You've got to have some way of figuring out what to use.
On the MONEY with this comment. One of the most insightful things posted on this board. Yeah you can tell him the usual vague crap about how it's so much more satisfying to do it himself but he is NOT asking how to BE Gaiser, how to steal his sound. He wants to know if anyone here has any tips to open up avenues towards the sound he wants to achieve. Yeah Gaiser is great, very tight and impressive production wise, I think he lacks the soul I might want in my own music but I would still love to know more about how he creates his work. We've all gotta learn the technical stuff somewhere and surely that's one of the great things this board could provide: I can speak to some guy in Sweden or Germany or who knows where and he can say try X, then someone from Argentina or US can say try Y; then I can go and try both and create my own thing and I never asked the 'secret formula' to techno, only for advice from people who seem to know much more about something I'm interested in than me. Not a lot wrong with that in my opinion.

All I can glean about Gaiser's sound is that, as has been pointed out a lot, he seems to use microtonic or something very similar for much of his drum patterns and a little playing around with this software and it doesn't seem to hard to come up with a similar sound. But I think the punch and focus that his productions seem to have, why most seem to respect him, is related to a more musical knowledge of arrangement and this I can't claim to be an expert on. For example Seepage is full of rhythms that offset and effect each other, shifting time patterns within a larger structure which are difficult to program. My tip would be to really concentrate on how one element musically interacts and effects all the others in the track and create multiple strands of rhythm in that sense; I think this characteristic is clearly related to why Gaiser's tracks often lack a sense of induviduality overall, yet in their detail and sheer texture are some of the most clever and interesting programming that has been achieved in the genre.