drum layer tutorials links + self made

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I have always found that it's not so much what type of drums you are using with minimal music. It's where you are placing them. To make a good rhythym in minimal the hats need and clicks and beeps or whatever need proper placement. I have build minimal songs only using a plain natural snare, one plain hihat, and a couple of toms and a good kick. No layering and noeffects.

spend more time on placement than your actuall samples to give the track proper swing and rythym and youll save yourself alot of grief.
i978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i978 »

^^ Sounds are not important? what planet are you from?

Surly the idea of a production forum is to both impart and gain knowledge about production techniques. Layering (not just drums) is widely used and pretty much essential if you want a good "Thud" that's not "off the shelf". All too often some knob whittles on about the "minimal" aesthetic or whatnot. (I've even read in a few placed that people should googe the questions they are asking!)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

i978 wrote:^^ Sounds are not important? what planet are you from?

Surly the idea of a production forum is to both impart and gain knowledge about production techniques. Layering (not just drums) is widely used and pretty much essential if you want a good "Thud" that's not "off the shelf". All too often some knob whittles on about the "minimal" aesthetic or whatnot. (I've even read in a few placed that people should googe the questions they are asking!)
Im not saying they aren't important but having really cool sounding drums is worthless if you can't place them right. My favorite minimal tracks have very little drumwork at all.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

victorgonzales wrote: My favorite minimal tracks have very little drumwork at all.
sorry but, how would you possibly know that?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

Since I am the one who wrote „uff“, let me answer you.
It’s the word minimal that I don’t always approve/understand.
Who of you has been listening to techno since ist beginning or had the chance / will to listen to the original sounds of techno (speaking of old detroit techno here,) that techno has alway been minimalistic, at least ist approach to composition.
Waaay before some new producers found out how to shuffle in reaktor and putting reverb on toms…..
Just 2 names for who needs to go back to school:
Robert Hood
Daniel dbx Bell
Tell me it’s not minimal…… at the time no one was speaking about minimal techno, yet.

The definition minimal techno is imho redundant, techno is already minimal from ist very beginning, that’s why when the last one who come here -having possibly not a big clue about the whole techno stuff- asking for the thousand time how to make minimal sh!t I feel like „oh my god not once again“ we really do not need any bandwagon jumpers anymore, it’s just people like the bandwagon-jumpers that make some part of techno get more and more stupid, just look at those people at the parties who clearly are there just because what’s now called minimal is trendy (at least here in zurich we have lots of so people, damn fashion victims), same thing is in the producers realm, how many have jumped in in the very last minute and now beg for help „to make this or that bassline“, „to layer this or that“.. well, f**k in some ways, I mean there is nothing wrong in asking advices to pros or more experienced people but sometimes I really have the impression people dream to produce the next summer hit after 2 days mouse action with a given software, when they realize it’s not that easy they go all over asking „how do I [copy] make this and that in order that it fits into minimal“.. well this pisses me quite off, because sometimes it seems like there is no effort prior the question, quite no one came and said „ I already tried this or that way but I don’t understand“
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

on the money
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

do you really fear bandwagon jumpers?
and...ehm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_art
...::::....::::....::::...
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »