sexuality and making electronic music

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Well i don't know much about Hearthrob in fact i don't think i'v ever listened to him but there are other examples of this kind of thing like: http://www.discogs.com/release/145679 no mistaking that record :)

All silliness aside though he's a very good friend of mine and one of the most off the hook producers and all around great guys i know. I don't really think you can tell just by listening straight up to somebodies music. Make no mistake about it, there are allot of gay people out there making this music and the gay community has always been very important in the development and history of electronic music. So if you're homophobic you're definitely going to find yourself in allot of uncomfortable situations with this kind of music in the club.
uchujin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by uchujin »

producing and sex are related, i believe. how many of you wouldn't experience erection playing with Reactable? I know I would.
UCHUnoKOE
UNDERGROUND MUSIC BLOG
FROM ESOTERIC PRODUCERS

4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

i go by points otherwise it will be too long:

- sexuality is expression
- music is also expression
- tons of other "parameters" have influence on peolple's thoughts (directly related to expression)
- if sex is very important for a person it will probably have a stronger influence on his music
- if this person is a writer his thoughts would rather influence his books and not his music :wink:

conclusion: suxuality influences musicality at least as much as a fresh beer

:lol:
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

I was a male stripper in a go go bar?
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

ec50 wrote:
malle eppie wrote:does this also mean you're gay when you like heartthrob's music?

only if you need to ask ;)
:lol: sick.

There's something to be said about the statement though. Scissor Sisters, Mika,... sounds gay enough. Even REM, Stipe didn't need to come out of the closet for everyone to know :lol:

But in dance music : mnml I think it's a lot harder. I certainly wouldn't been able to tell from his music that Heartthrob is gay. (Is he?).
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

4am wrote:i go by points otherwise it will be too long:

- tons of other "parameters" have influence on peolple's thoughts (directly related to expression)
- if sex is very important for a person it will probably have a stronger influence on his music
- if this person is a writer his thoughts would rather influence his books and not his music :wink:

:lol:
Beer, titties and techno. That's what i always say.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
Sonny-
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Sonny- »

ano.phi
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm Post subject:
4am wrote:
i go by points otherwise it will be too long:

- if this person is a writer his thoughts would rather influence his books and not his music

Beer, titties and techno. That's what i always say.
that's a great life motto :lol:
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Never knew that heartthrob was gay. However, I'd say any artistic impression can be / is influenced by the various cultures/circles that you grow up in. So perhaps it could have an influence?

Also kind of funny how some of the biggest gay-circuit DJ's are actually straight.

But, being gay myself, I never picked up on heartthrob being gay from his music - maybe I need to go get my radar adjusted or something. *laugh*

although, now listening to a set of his, and in a few parts, instead of getting into uber-machoist type vibe like some techno can get, he has moments that remind me of when a friend is putting on some extra-flamboyance while joking around and is all "ooh girl, thats fierce!" :P