mastering thing

- ask away
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

mastering thing

Post by sohrab »

just been curious about this:when producers send their demos to labels and they decide to release it,do they send the mastered materials or labels do it themselves?!
Semirk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Semirk »

I havent been signed or anything but I'm sure that the label will be more impressed by a fully mastered piece, it shows what the producer can fully do and that they have experience on the whole aspect of making tracks. Sure the label can fine tune it but why should they have to bother wasting their time over a track which mastering may not make much better.
forcesupreme
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by forcesupreme »

Often labels only do the vinyl mastering. But some labels ask for 'dry' tracks so they can hire proffesionals to get that 'expensive' sound.

In my case, i do it my self, the label does the vinyl mastering.
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

I thought so.as forcesupreme I think in special cases and worthy tracks they may do it by proffesionals.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

yup, but the annoying thing is that not every engeneer will actually pin the sound you really want from mastering your track. if you know what i mean.
if ur touchy about that, try inserting a text file with your opinion on how should be your track mastered, where do you want more low end, highs, more compression to lift some parts out...etc
Last edited by plaster on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

whats that "vinyl mastering" in detail forcesupreme mentioned?
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

I semi master my tracks (light compression/limiting) before i send it to any label to be mastered for vinyl, need to leave some headroom for the mastering engineer though so be carefull not to overdo it as your final mix may sound over compressed. As far as i'm aware all labels send the mix to a mastering engineer before its cut on vinyl as the acetate is often cut by the engineer and is an art in itself.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

did any of you guys followed what those ppl cut on the end of the vinyl?

my friend and me had this phase of checking their messages...twas fun.