Limiter in the mix

- ask away
Phune
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Limiter in the mix

Post by Phune »

Man i was thinking if i have a track that is a lil bit clipping on the master channel and i just put on it a limiter to - 0.2 or something like that, and than i send it to master there will be any kind of problem?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Bring all the channel faders down rather then putting a limiter on the master.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

doing that will leave no headroom at all for the mastering engineer, id drop all my faders and start the mixdown again
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Limiter in the mix

Post by hydrogen »

Phune wrote:will be any kind of problem?
yeah don't clip it.

Also your metering isn't going to necessarily pick up on all the peaks. because it doesn't sample every single position. there is some variance of inaccuracy of digital meters. Many times if you are running close to 0.0 you are likely clipping without realizing it. you could bounce this track and check it in an editor and notice peaks and troughs of your waves completely axed off.

Read Mastering Audio by Bob Katz from front to back. Great read if you like recording.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

Read Mastering Audio by Bob Katz from front to back. Great read if you like recording.
ive tried reading this sooo many times, boggles my mind
hebb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hebb »

Phune wrote:Man i was thinking if i have a track that is a lil bit clipping on the master channel and i just put on it a limiter to - 0.2 or something like that, and than i send it to master there will be any kind of problem?
If the overall dynamics of the track aren't affected by that, then it shouldn't be a problem (imo). For example, if the over all levels of your track are at, let's say -4 db, but there's a single high clip, which hits the red, then I think it's fine to use a limiter. As far as I understand that's the whole purpose of the limiter. Use an audio editor to get a better idea (visual reference).
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

hebb wrote:
Phune wrote:Man i was thinking if i have a track that is a lil bit clipping on the master channel and i just put on it a limiter to - 0.2 or something like that, and than i send it to master there will be any kind of problem?
If the overall dynamics of the track aren't affected by that, then it shouldn't be a problem (imo). For example, if the over all levels of your track are at, let's say -4 db, but there's a single high clip, which hits the red, then I think it's fine to use a limiter. As far as I understand that's the whole purpose of the limiter. Use an audio editor to get a better idea (visual reference).
or try to edit that part that
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Leave plenty Of headroom, that's how you'll Keep the track's dynamics ! if the Guy behind the knobs is Good or great, you'll Hear it...but if it's one Of those bedroom labels That open limiters on audacity...
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin