Experience with A&H Xone S6/V6, S2 Mixers?

- ask away
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Experience with A&H Xone S6/V6, S2 Mixers?

Post by JackNine »

Does anyone have any experience with the boards in the title; especially the discontinued S6? People have also mentioned the Urei and Bozak boards to me, but they lack the modernity and connectivity I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a higher quality sound from a board for home-listening/jamming, as I'm just not happy with the current products on the market from any of the mainstream companies. I've tried the A&H Xone 42, 92 and Xone 3D, a few Eclers and some of the higher end Pioneer DJMs. I'm looking for something with smoother pots and better electronics to jam with; a more solid build quality and a cleaner sound.

I currently have a 3D that's over five years old and a 42 (about a year old) and I'm happy with neither. The 92 had a slightly cleaner tone than both of these, with better build quality and better EQ, but it too felt flimsy and sounded thin to my ears. They are all short on character—for lack of a better word—and they're all fairly noisy and cheap feeling (a result of the current trend of "Made in China" manufacturing as I fear).

I'm looking for something really high end and I'm prepared to sell both of my boards and toss in more cash to get there. Was thinking about the Funktion One mixers but I've heard mixed reviews on those—and to be honest—they're ugly as sin and awkwardly sized.

For my current use, I'd prefer a rack mount with rotary faders which is why the A&H S6/S2 options intrigue me.

What says the group? Will I notice switching to something like the S6? What about the S2? (I'm scared that the S2 is going to sound exactly like the current black 42/92/4D, which I do not like.)

This will be running with 10" Genelec 1032As and a 12" Genelec 7070A sub.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Experience with A&H Xone S6/V6, S2 Mixers?

Post by mehta »

JackNine wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the boards in the title; especially the discontinued S6? People have also mentioned the Urei and Bozak boards to me, but they lack the modernity and connectivity I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a higher quality sound from a board for home-listening/jamming, as I'm just not happy with the current products on the market from any of the mainstream companies. I've tried the A&H Xone 42, 92 and Xone 3D, a few Eclers and some of the higher end Pioneer DJMs. I'm looking for something with smoother pots and better electronics to jam with; a more solid build quality and a cleaner sound.

I currently have a 3D that's over five years old and a 42 (about a year old) and I'm happy with neither. The 92 had a slightly cleaner tone than both of these, with better build quality and better EQ, but it too felt flimsy and sounded thin to my ears. They are all short on character—for lack of a better word—and they're all fairly noisy and cheap feeling (a result of the current trend of "Made in China" manufacturing as I fear).

I'm looking for something really high end and I'm prepared to sell both of my boards and toss in more cash to get there. Was thinking about the Funktion One mixers but I've heard mixed reviews on those—and to be honest—they're ugly as sin and awkwardly sized.

For my current use, I'd prefer a rack mount with rotary faders which is why the A&H S6/S2 options intrigue me.

What says the group? Will I notice switching to something like the S6? What about the S2? (I'm scared that the S2 is going to sound exactly like the current black 42/92/4D, which I do not like.)

This will be running with 10" Genelec 1032As and a 12" Genelec 7070A sub.
try rodec mixers

very solid, great sound quality, best pots on any dj mixer as far as I know
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

Personally if iwas going to throw around that much money I'd buy the DB4

It looks amazing
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Rodec isn't in the same range as the V6. Now THAT is a seriously crazy mixer in terms of sound quality. Don't know if it's still available though.

Also the Formula Sound FF6000 sounds amazing, although I don't know if that is only in combo with a Funktion One or also with other setups.

Xone:62 is also amazing, although I don't know if the new (non-uk built) versions also are that great. I heared some mixed reviews. Or the 464 ;)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i absolutely loathe that v6 mixer. the layout is kind of abysmal, the lack of eq's frustrate the sh!t out of me, and the "master eq" thing makes zero fucking sense.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

cloutier wrote:i absolutely loathe that v6 mixer. the layout is kind of abysmal, the lack of eq's frustrate the sh!t out of me, and the "master eq" thing makes zero fcking sense.
With the Dual EQ its siiick... not quite like a urei but its up there i think.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

cloutier wrote:i absolutely loathe that v6 mixer. the layout is kind of abysmal, the lack of eq's frustrate the sh!t out of me, and the "master eq" thing makes zero fcking sense.
no EQ? It's got hi-pass filters on every channel, so no problem to cut the bass out when needed... it's purebred oldskool loveliness I say :lol: