References for mixing

- ask away
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

References for mixing

Post by Luis Isaac »

One of the first tips I've always heard to mix is listening to a reference track. So you know how much reverb you sould use, you know if the kick is loud enough, Eq,etc...

My question, is which music or tracks do you use for this purpose?

For example I would use Trentemoller stuff (Polar shift )to have a reference of what a spaced minimal track could sound as. I think he is one of the best mixings his tracks in the scene.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

use stuff that you like loads and loads, that you have heard several times on dancefloors on big soundsystems.
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

I was curious to know which were the references for people to make a good mix/mastering for their tracks. ;) Your advice was good thank you
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

Martin Buttrich stuff. I find his stuff very clean and groovy, spatious and crisp at the same time :)

I always try to get that kind of sound and groove in my tracks, and this is the closest i've got... http://soundcloud.com/direktsound/pupku ... -by-direkt still far away, haha.

Trentemoller stuff is good too, i guess it depends on what are you trying to achieve...
bam
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I mostly use Robert Hood, Sandwell District, Downwards, Dynamic Tension, Blueprint, and Axis stuff.

That stuff never gets old on a big system. Also Ricardo Villalobos is a reference for my housier stuff.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

i wish my tracks sound more like the robert hood, downwards and axis stuff
any tips victorjohn
i found the decimort vst really usefull to create a little bit that sound
esp the sp1200 presets
and cut all the 1.2 K on the highs
ThisWayUp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ThisWayUp »

Not so much on a minimal tip, but Massive Attack - Mezzanine is a pretty good yardstick for me. Something to aim for at least anyway
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Lately, I've been recording a track I'm working and mix it with other tunes to get a feel of what needs worked on. Obviously, you'll need cdj's or serato or some sh!t to do this (omni control + traktor in my case).

I'll usually put a soft limiter on the master to bring the levels up first. It's nice because you get good feedback on what needs to done. Especially in the bass department.