Around which main sounds do you build the mix?

- ask away
d-rokc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Around which main sounds do you build the mix?

Post by d-rokc »

now we all know a good mix aint democratic. some sounds come strong & upfront while others 'hide' in the back of the track. knowing there are some serious producers on the board, i would like to know what is their approach on this aspect of producing.

example: in pop music very crucial is the balance between vocal and the lead instrument (say a guitar). once you nail the balance between these two, everything else is a piece of cake - the other sounds just fall nicely around these main 'pillars', if u know what im saying.

ofcourse in dance music things are quite a bit different (meaning theres no 'lead instruments' and all that...) but general rules of mixing still apply. so i would be thankful if you guys share your knowledge on the subject. i will try to formulate my questions like that:

- in what general frequencies do the 'main' sounds in your mix lie?
- which two track's elements' balance do you find crucial for the overall mix balance (these can be subgroups too, say - drums <--> lead).
- in what general frequency do you 'spread' the stereo image the most? (c'mon jesse i know u the king on this one help your amateur brothers out :lol: )

eerrmm, yeah. hope i made myself clear. just one more thing - i know this is one of the most important things about making a track sound strong, powerful. being such, its normal to be kind of a secret, producers' taboo u know. so i would understand if some of you dont wanna share alot on the subject. but please, PLEASE - dont give us the 'theres no method to my madness' kinda answer. we've had enough of that :evil:

sorry fo long post, d.
rock beyond believe
Music Junkie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Music Junkie »

Well I've noticed it really depends on the instruments you use. I try to use instruments that will fill out the sound but stay away from each other. But if you want two main things I work on is the BD sit well then the bass and melody the rest of the percussion slides right into place when you've ironed out where your most important parts sit on the eq.
kenada
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenada »

it all depends on the track. im not trying to skirt the answer here, it's just the truth.

some tracks are very bassline driven, other tracks may have a tribal drum hook, theres no one answer.
S Y N T H E T I K
COME DOWN
minimal tech - Dec '05
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

i try to balance everything in the best volume level...meaning, each sound is exactly on the same level. put every channel to low volume and first play the kick drum, then i level textures and clicks and the rest of the rhytmic parts go last.

just the way i work...

oh, a little edit.... best advice i came across last year was from popkan!

hihats always go last...so true!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

By last, do you mean once the track is sequenced out??

I often build a collection of sounds e.g snares, sticks, clicks and any other mnml sounds i can find then add a kick after. Get the groove with the sounds 1st then add kick once thats done.
kenada
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kenada »

::BLM:: wrote: I often build a collection of sounds e.g snares, sticks, clicks and any other mnml sounds i can find then add a kick after. Get the groove with the sounds 1st then add kick once thats done.
dropping the kick after you have your groove is essential, you get much better rhythm that way, as often the kick isn't best on the downbeat of the new rhythm you have created.
S Y N T H E T I K
COME DOWN
minimal tech - Dec '05
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

I start with basic sounds like drums, synths or weird sounds, that I created in free time... After I try to combine it with my other stuff (samples, beats, melodies). Combination of sounds together is main way of my producing...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kenada wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: I often build a collection of sounds e.g snares, sticks, clicks and any other mnml sounds i can find then add a kick after. Get the groove with the sounds 1st then add kick once thats done.
dropping the kick after you have your groove is essential, you get much better rhythm that way, as often the kick isn't best on the downbeat of the new rhythm you have created.
i agree, i build all my grooves without a kick, then the kick goes wherever it works best, and in whatever rhythm pattern also. starting with say a 4/4 kick limits where you can take the grooves.
as far as the balance between sounds goes, i never think about sounds individually like that, all the sounds in my tunes can become interchangeable and morph between different states, so their position in the mix varies depending on what they are doing at that moment. i find it limiting to categorise sounds as bass / percussion etcetera.
i record my final mixdown live and just 'feel' which sounds should come to the front or fall back, by riding the faders on my desk. it seems to make it breath and sound more organic.