Chords and single notes

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Chords and single notes

Post by kristofason »

Is there any rule as to what chords go with single notes?,
bit of a noob question but i often have problems gettin chord stabs to go with other stuff in the tune ie. basslines etc..?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think it's best to just find ones that sound good to you. i usually find the notes that I want kinda 'jump out' a bit.

you can probably find some rules from classical music or maybe some jazz theory if you like but I think the ear and brain are better for finding relationships between notes/chords etc. there are only 12 evenly spaced notes per octave on a keyboard... and I find it much more enjoyable and useful to find the right one myself rather than look it up in a dusty old manual written by someoone with different ideas to me.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Learn scales. That helps.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Maiyal wrote:Learn scales. That helps.
If I understand correctly, you can use anything within that scale to go with the same chords (Like a bass player does - plays the root note of what the other musicians are doing, if not, he at least stays in that scale, I know that's what jazz players do)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Chords and single notes

Post by AK »

kristofason wrote:Is there any rule as to what chords go with single notes?,
bit of a noob question but i often have problems gettin chord stabs to go with other stuff in the tune ie. basslines etc..?
There aren't any 'rules' as such, but there are going to be things that just sound a bit naff. You might benefit from learning scales and diatonic chords ( there are chords built on each scale degree in a scale )

Some would argue against learning theory but if you are experiencing difficulties, you may find it useful. Certainly, by knowing the basics you would give yourself a springboard in understanding things like chords, harmony and counterpoint. Most of the basic stuff can be learnt in an afternoon.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

not really rules, but everything you can imagine as a scale has a certain name. Go google for some scales and you'll find out.

But first, just make some fun and make music. Scales won't gonna help u out that much. It's ur ear and imagine
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it all comes down to maths. learn a scale and you will be set for months. if the notes in the chord don't match the scale it will sound out of tune.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

thanks people,after 5 years of tryin to make tracks,i think its time to learn scales!