Building in Reaktor

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Building in Reaktor

Post by ::BLM:: »

Anyone doing this?

I have just started to build my own synths and effects units in Reaktor and have been having loads of fun.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't have the patience for it.
i couldn't enjoy it so i'll stick to making music.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yep it's heavy going but sometimes really worthwhile.

I haven't made anything from scratch myself. Usually I prefer to modify other peoples designs but that can be a bad thing cos a lot of the newer stuff especially is really complicated and you have to dig thru loads of layers of complex patches to make sense of anything.

But a lot of the designs are up there with the best that you can find in the VST world.

There are lots of good ones that aren't in the included library anymore but used to be up until version 3 and 4. Grainstates 1 is a good example. I think you can find it in the user library, as well as some others like this. They are generally a lot simpler and easier to understand, but just as musically interesting.

Electronic Instruments 2 is worth looking into for techno/house people.

Max for Live is worth looking into also. I find it esaier to use than Reaktor in a lot of cases.

Also these software products are a good way to lead into actual Modular Synthesis, which offers a lot that software doesn't.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

oblioblioblio wrote:...a lot of the designs are up there with the best that you can find in the VST world.
The DSP stuff in a lot of the leading audio software out there is actually prototyped in Reaktor. If you go deep enough into Reaktor Core you're just dealing with numbers and memory, so in theory if you knew the exact algorithm behind (say) the Waves L2 or Ableton Reverb or NI Guitar Rig or whatever, there's little reason why you couldn't replicate it exactly.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

tone-def wrote:i don't have the patience for it.
+1
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Dusk wrote:
tone-def wrote:i don't have the patience for it.
+1
Ha yes.

I was trying to make a simple delay for this synth I made but I couldn’t get it to work. I was trying for well over an hour, so just gave up as I was starting to get quite frustrated.

There is a great little synth called 'Juno 6', which is worth checking out

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... tchid=3554
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yep. reaktor is a lot of work to do anything beyond just using stuff which has already been built in it (which isn't a bad thing). I've been using it for a while and I'm still not at the level where I can build something decent completely from scratch.

But I really like being able to double click and look around at how the synth or effect is working. And then quite often it's not so hard to add a little tweak and suddenly the synth is doing something more exciting.

But I guess its not for everyone. I get pretty sick of it myself sometimes.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

too difficult to build my own synths, but the user library is an endless source of amazing stuff. Reaktor is simply brilliant. I especially love those ensembles that generate random sounds. I could listen for hours to those sounds bouncing off each other at random.