herbert's new project.

- ask away
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

herbert's new project.

Post by minimal house »

"My new record is called SCALE and takes as its starting point, the idea of distance in our lives. For one track I am trying to make a small connection with the potential audience of the album. To this end, we have set up an answer phone at k7 hq. The number there is : +49 32 22 1918 394

If you would like to contribute, please call this number and leave me a sound. Any sound. Preferably not speech or something vocal. Please DON'T say what the sound is or your name, I'm interested in making a piece of music out of noises that I don't know anything about. If you'd like to register your contribution, and name then please email dan@k7.com

Regardless, if you'd like to add a noise to the record, just call up and leave me a sound. Every sound will be used. You have until december the 11th to do it.

Thank you for your time
Matthew Herbert"
robert lowell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by robert lowell »

interesting concept.
tsod
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsod »

hmm just wondering about the quality of a phone transmission..
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Thats what i thought, but then i said to myself...Herbert's music has never really been about quality as it has the concept of sound manipulation.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

he's out of control, I love it... him and monolake need to hook up.
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

tsod wrote:hmm just wondering about the quality of a phone transmission..

People always bring things like this up. You can make anything sound the way you want it to, but besides - Music, this sector of it especially, isn't about getting "perfect" recordings of real world sounds and things. It's about using anything and everything in any way possible. New sounds are unlocked through strange anomalies found in poor recordings sometimes. There are qualities to audio that can only be brought out through certain means of recording. The "pallette" available to audio artists in this modern age is so broad in scope to the old way of thinking, and this is one of the reasons.. the use and abuse of audio of all kinds and all qualities is available to us. It's a choice sometimes. I recon the same kind of arguements were made when the first distortion units started showing up with guitarists and things.. people thought it was "destroying" the perfect sound of the instrument when really it was expanding the pallette a guitarist had available to them as an artist.

I'd hate to live in a world where people only recorded crystal clear audio and the dirtiest they got was using some VSTs that they just dug up. Everything would sound the same and the industry would be even more stale than it has been at times lately.
csmak4u
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by csmak4u »

sounds intresting, cant wait to see what sounds people have given you to use
looking forward to hearing your work :wink:
its just a hobby i picked up in the lobby
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Anyone got a link to his last project that involved submissions from people popping bubblegum? He was supposed to make an album entirely out of the sounds that were submitted.