Massive Breaks and Effects in Tracks

- ask away
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Massive Breaks and Effects in Tracks

Post by Themis »

Hi.

Why are so many producers using massiv breaks in there tracks? a good example for it is

http://soundcloud.com/teclectic/sets/an ... cityfox005

first Track.

I love the groove of the track but i wont buy it cause it has a huge 30 second break with nothing in it but some noises ...

wtf?!? im a newb in DJing but how should i make this break work in a club? it destroys the whole groove..

my second point are excessiv use of a climax or a filter.

This should be the work of a DJ. To make a break if he feels it is right, to make a climax if he feels its right.

But in the most tracks i cant do it on my own, cause i have to fear that after my DJ climax some second climax from the producer comes

I understand the intention to make a whole track which is not boring, but this tracks are buyed 99% by DJs and there Job is to make it work with other tracks.

I have to choose my tracks not by how they sound, but if theres a huge break in it which would kill my whole groove. Thats sad.
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

hmm... i go forward on the track i hear the same groove with vocals and a couple of effects, no development
in this case a break is the only way to give energy to the track (otherwise it just remains boring, or should be just 3 minutes instead of 7)
i think it is common practice these days
as dj, i assume you should know your records and know where a break comes in order to use it in your sets?
...::::....::::....::::...
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

@ Themis, I totally understand. I find this really irritating - any night labelled minimal here; you're gonna hear a lot of that. It's quite patronising when you're on the dancefloor and some lame (pseudo-uplifting) noodly break occurs - more so the smaller a venue is. I feel like the DJ is having a laugh. it's breakdowns for the sake of having a breakdown.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

@bip

the track need no further energy, thats the responsibility of the dj, no techno track will run 7 minutes in a club.

the dj is mixing 30 seconds then the track maybe run 2-4 minutes and mixes again 30 seconds maybe more, there is no need for this break and no need to build up energy cause the mixing itself should build up energy ..

and of course i know my tracks, my point is i cant buy many good tracks cause they have such pseudo breaks in it, to make the track not boring...
bip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bip »

what i meant is that the track sounds all the same, it could have a development of energy that keeps it interesting. but instead of it is easier to put a big break in the middle to "surprise" the audience when it starts again.
breakdowns are tools that producers have at their disposal to manage the energy of the track: tension -> release....
and it is a fundamental point in techno.
it is bad when it is just used to "pimp" mediocre tracks, and at the moment it is kind of a trend :?
...::::....::::....::::...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

ah now i get you :)

i completly agree with you on that

and maybe the definition of a break today is fucked

in my opinion a break could also be something that not ends in "nothing with noise".
Pettro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pettro »

Edit the track to your needs.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

what the hell do you mean, i have a turntable and a vinyl

the only editing which i could make is with the equilizers