Livesets forbidden to record.

- open
Dragonsand
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Livesets forbidden to record.

Post by Dragonsand »

Hello! :)

It might be a stupid question, but why, you, as an artist (or not), would you forbid anyone to record your liveset?

I notice that it was easy enough to find some livesets from some new artists I liked very much (and still like most of the time), and then, when the fame grows, even just a little bit, nobody is allowed to record what they do.

Why?

I sometimes feel it like "hey, listen to my promo livesets, I make cool music!", and then, "Now I'm signed on several labels so don't record my art, fuckers!"

It's sad for those who can't go to clubs very often, like me, and would like to hear a little more and support the artists they believe in.

Is it just a question of ego, copyright protection, or something? what's your point about that? :)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i can think of a few reasons. for example, as a barista i sometimes make mistakes. if i make a shitty drink at work, i dump it, i remake it. the customer should recieve a high quality product (what they ordered), so if someone were to start stealing these shitty drinks before i can pour them out my work would become heavily misrepresented...

a low quality bootleg version of an artists work is possibly a huge slap to their ego. some people never minded, the grateful dead, dave matthews, elliott smith. they all have bootlegs which are very easy to find, the downside being that you have 100's+ of bootlegs to dig through without having any idea of which ones are even worth your time. the same with hawtin and villalobos bootlegs, their fame precedes even the quality of the live sets which their fans share. the result is that there are 100's+ bootlegs of their livesets which are unlistenable, and i imagine are an annoyance to the artists who put alot of time and effort into quality promo sets, which are intended to be shared, unlike live sets which are partly untested expiraments.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

pafufta816 makes a good point. another, more litigious point would be live royalties. some artists sign contracts that may prohibit them from giving their music away for free. this is more relevant in the non-EDM realm, but i'm sure it is an issue for some more famous djs/producers.
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

livesets meaning live pas? or dj sets

a pa is simple some live acts dont want to get busted for playing the same pre-recorded set every gig...

also to protect their releaes

i think that's a reason some dj sets dont get recorded to protect labels tracks also like above mentioned you dont want an off night recorded...

Would prefer it if you could get more sets like, magda sets are like rocking horse sh!t these days...
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

asked troy pierce once why his sets are never recorded. he said "Because I tell them not to" :lol:

but then he said it's because people would play the sets over and over and eventually get bored. Got a point there.
BeatBoxBaby
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by BeatBoxBaby »

Easy:

1. Because of the copycats (with the internet connecting many people, you can get together a tracklist for a set relatively easy, and those who lack style but still wanabee biig Djs, they play all the tracks they hear from the big ones).

2. Because of the many promo tracks (it might not even come to many of your minds here, but some "Djs" do actually cut out promo tracks from live set recordings and play them in their "sets"... )
...:::I Looove this Place:::...
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

BeatBoxBaby wrote:Easy:

2. Because of the many promo tracks (it might not even come to many of your minds here, but some "Djs" do actually cut out promo tracks from live set recordings and play them in their "sets"... )
I've heard that a few times indeed

:lol: kind of sad
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

BeatBoxBaby wrote: 1. Because of the copycats (with the internet connecting many people, you can get together a tracklist for a set relatively easy, and those who lack style but still wanabee biig Djs, they play all the tracks they hear from the big ones).
so what if i find a track completely on my own and play it out or in a mix,
and then later on i hear it in a set by someone big name. does that mean i gots style? :P

you make good points though. ive been dying to ID this one track from an old adultnapper set from early last year. i still havent gotten it ID'd, and i cut it out of the set to post up for ppl to hear and maybe identify it but i would never think of just spinning that portion that i cut out myself in an actual set. that's pretty lame! :roll:

what troy said is a good point too.
never thought of it that way but i guess in most cases its true.