If you could remix any song...

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

If you could remix any song...

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

If you could get access to the original masters and remix any song what would it be? Its an open question but I am thinking mostly in terms of remixing older non techno / electronic music into techno / electronic music.

The one day I was doing something and realized that I had a melody of a voice running through my head but I didn't know the words, I didn't know the song, but the music was in my head. It was just one of those things... some song I heard in my youth that I knew but didn't know.

It took me like a month to find out what it was. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush. My mother used to have a Kate Bush cassette tape and that was where I had heard it from. I probably haven't heard that song in 10-15 years. How crazy is that? One day its just running though my head. Strange how the mind works. I poked around today I found a few remixes of that song out there. At this point in time that would be my pick to remix.
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

anything Depeche Mode
Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

faithless - sweep
tom waits - the sins of my father
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Parliment - 'flashlight' or 'the big bang theory'
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

I think it would be cool to take any Arcade Fire song and just use the orchestral pieces and other melodic instruments working in the background and make something out of it.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: If you could remix any song...

Post by good_god »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:
It took me like a month to find out what it was. Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush.
good one. that song seems to have had a resurgence in popularity on the past couple of years with some truly horrendous cover versions. but i think that the dance floors of 2009 can use some Fairlight. do an edit.

my pick? jocko homo by devo. i'd leave out most of the goofy vocals, but there's a great psychedelic flanger guitar breakdown near the end that could benefit from an extended rework.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

anizz wrote:anything Depeche Mode
word! there's a few depeche mode songs id love to remix, especially 'everything counts.'

also, my grandmother used to sing in this like doo wop cover group. they did this really old song and her voice is amazing in it. its a really like poppy upbeat happy track and i keep having these ideas of taking her vocals and chopping them up and distorting them to all hell and turning it into a dark ass minimal track, lol.

here's the original, this isnt her singing in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDvmdpHwtIA

lol, my version would pretty much sound NOTHING like that :lol:
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

Depre wrote:word! there's a few depeche mode songs id love to remix, especially 'everything counts.'
There's a version of the album online that comes with "Everything Counts (Long Version)" at the end. It's actually only about a minute long, and it's just the vocals and one synthesizer... would be pretty easy to remix as a near acapella.