When is enough enough?

- ask away
Deefex
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

When is enough enough?

Post by Deefex »

So i kinda have this feeling when i'm online looking at a sampler, or a synth. and i'm just like. i don't need that. i have enough(even though i don't). but i feel like battery and the 3 or 4 really good synths i have are enough. and samples too. altought it would be cool if i had more FX samples. but who else feels like this? or do you just get it all and worry about it later? or never worry. lol
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm always wanting MORE when it comes to hardware. I've got a list of about £5000 worth of stuff i don't just want but i feel i need. I'm not interested in samples. i deleted loads and now all my sounds come from my equipment, software instruments or i've recorded it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's a tricky balancing act really.

i dunno if i have any advice really, but it's definitely worth being quite careful about what you use and what you don't.

you need to have a close relationship with any pice of gear you use so that means you need to limit what you use and what you don't, but at the same time a bit of variety can help you appreciate the personality of different pieces of equipment.

it's about a personal path i guess.
Deefex
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Deefex »

yeah, i find that quality over quantity works best. and knowing your instruments inside and out. the more experience you have with them. the more you will know what to do with them then you won't need a lot of VSTis.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

Deefex wrote:quality over quantity works best. and knowing your instruments inside and out.
2 great pieces of advice !

another good rule for anything you own, not just gear

is if you havent used it in the past 6 months

Get Rid of It !

put it on craigslist/ebay

once you get a nice rig of a couple synths and drum machines

its good to sell a synth after you buy a new one

and rotate your gear out
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Were all gear junkies :)

I just stopped looking on the net for new/other stuff. im getting an email when theres a new update for the software i own from kvr and thats about it.

Stomper.
Deefex
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Deefex »

yea, that's the only thing i think i have to do now. update most of my stuff. cause technology keeps moving and you gotta keep moving with it. lol i sound old.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

in the short experience i have on this, i have been changing gear and software eversince.....and stayed with few things that i really like, i guess it is about getting to know stuffs and see what you like and what you dont, but with moderation i would say, you cant have it all and if you do, you cant use it all, i asume.

i am sure we all would love to have it all lol

and it does feels good when you get rid of somehting and get something new!!...
has anyone got rid of anything and then regreat?