mnml maxi

[ARCH 064] Smirk - Even Beauty Gets Old

Post by fugazi »

[ARCH 064] Smirk - Even Beauty Gets Old

Label: Archipel
Cat: ARCH064
Format: Digital
Release date: 05 July 2009

Archipel gets a lick of Wolf + Lamb's Smirk who brings us the wonderfully intricate, atmospheric, textural, funky and juicy package which goes by the title of "Even Beauty Gets Old" but in this case, beauty will most definitely last for some time. "Just Because" is like taking a massively slow lick of a lolly which possesses the quality of spinning time into a sparkling web of rotating and delicate, melodic, aural imagery while "Ship Song" and "Stasis" are more stripped down but turn the hypnotism up a few notches while being drenched in a warm fluid whisked into wisps by their own self propelling winds.

Title track "Even Beauty Gets Old" possesses a deadly funky electric bass bassline which rolls the entire piece into a tightly would bundle of late night heat while "Rough City Blues" retains the funk but goes endlessly deeper by spinning your mind into a flurry of layered airy textures. "Contempt Plate" immediately and yet gentle grabs your chin to bring you in for closer viewing with its pearlescent revolving clouds of arching and contorting strings while "Dawn" is as its name would suggest an optimistic and brightly touched, growing and blossoming, beam of light, freshly baked from within the core of some near star.

Tracklisting:

1. Dawn
2. Ship Song
3. Rough City Blues
4. Just Because
5. Even Beauty Gets Old
6. Contempt Plate

Available to Buy on: Whatpeopleplay.com - Boomkat.com - Traxsource.com - zero-inch.com - DJDownload.com - Nuloop.com - Junodownload.com - Junodownload.com - Phonomonkey.com

Interested in other Archipel’s records?
check our facebook group to see previous releases if you are interested.. Archipel always have nice music for you!!

Feedbacks are always welcomed!! :D

More info:
http://www.archipel.cc
http://www.youtube.com/user/archipelmusic
Also on Twitter & Facebook
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

:)
Archipel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Archipel »

You can also see video promo for this release:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPm-q1T8WFs

Thanks for support! :o
fugazi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fugazi »

i love this release... too much good tracks!! :o
Archipel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Archipel »

Some nice feedbacks!! :o

* Sean O'Neal (Someone Else)
this ep is amazing. one of my favorites ever on this label. :)

* Joshua (Time for Trees)
Smirk - Even Beauty Gets Old is a wondrous marriage of souls from the north and south. Smirk takes on a different form though, it harnesses the traditional 4/4 structure but also dives into the strange and eerie realms of minimal with a uptempo soundscape pushing it gently in the background.

* Dan
Rough City Blues is wicked!. will play for sure!

* Jorge Savoretti
very nice tracks for listening... i specially like contempt plate

* Riyaz Khan (CHRY 105.5FM, Toronto, Canada)
very entertaining and highly engaging release from SMIRK! all tracks sound very individual and definitely manage to create their own identities but flow well together as a cohesive entity - from the melancholy lead in DAWN to the rolling grooves of SHIP SONG to the minimal percolation of ROUGH CITY BLUES to my overall fave CONTEMPT PLATE with its sub bass tension inducing cinematic scope - this release shows once again why ARCHIPEL is a label to consistently keep an ear out for - SOLID release with oodles of variety

* Kenneth Broxgaard - Tic Tac Toe
I like ship song and rough city blues :) Cool atmospheric tracks!

* Dave Twomey
very very hot... have charted!! thanks archipel for quality stuff

* Todd Burns (Resident Advisor)
Once again the Canadian label from Montreal delivers another fantastic album of sporadic soundscapes, adventurous instruments in limbo and of course a couple mind elevating

* Marc LaCasse
Smirk provide the senses with a catapult of orchestrated sounds on Dawn. Its not your average tune but if you enjoy something different and diverse you might be visiting your local symphony soon just to soak up more of these sounds. As steady as she goes Ship Song flails about on the murky deep waters with a floor stomper. Charismatic beats and chimes echo subtly in the background amongst ghostly gasps. Rough City Blues is a walk in the park compared to the upcoming songs, but here we slow down to a more minimal and abstract arrangement of chords over heavy kicks. Thanks archipel.

:o
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

wow. great release. i love the use of ambient pieces as 'bookends". best archipel release in a while...and that's saying a lot!
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

nice one!
dawn for me!