what kind of microphone?

- ask away
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

what kind of microphone?

Post by klankeffect »

hi,
what kind of microphones you guys are using, i am looking for quallity condensor microphone in the range of 300 euro... less is also ok ;-)
i want to record some small percussion elements, some vocals,...
any advice?
grtz Niek
lessizmoremoreizless
bazz001
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by bazz001 »

AKG 414 is pretty versatile - http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... ge,EN.html

If you are going for a condenser mic make sure you can supply it with phantom power :)
Magnus Mollin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Magnus Mollin »

What about microphones for recording let's say, the ambience in a room. Or record birds singing? maybe people downtown? :-sta

Does it have to be any special microphone for that?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

my mics right now are

zoom h2 (portable recorder)
MXL 57 (Large Condensor used for vocals and whatever)
Samson Co2 x 2. (Pair of Small Condensor used mainly for percussion and whatever)
Shure SM58 (Live mic)

its nice to have different styles of mics, you can never really have enough.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

For under 300 euro microphone I know that the sE electronics 2200A won loads of awards for being great in its price range and I have a friend that really rates it. These look to be well within your budget, and if you were to go to around 340 euros you'd be able to get the version with USB out.
It still has the XLR out so you can get the best quality but has the added portability with the digital option.
Magnus Mollin wrote:What about microphones for recording let's say, the ambience in a room. Or record birds singing? maybe people downtown? :-sta

For recording things like birds singing and people downtown probably best to use a shotgun mic as they have high directionality so you'll be able to point it at exactly what you want and get rid of the side signals. But for stuff like this sometimes the little handy portable recorders from companies like zoom are perfect and get great results. Zoom make great ones.

Ambience in a room you just want a condenser really and use a polar pattern that suits the task and room.
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

hydrogen wrote: zoom h2 (portable recorder)
Just noticing, thats the zoom mic I meant, nice one :)

I really wnt one to get some extra sound effects :(
Magnus Mollin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Magnus Mollin »

kylemcsparron wrote:For under 300 euro microphone I know that the sE electronics 2200A won loads of awards for being great in its price range and I have a friend that really rates it. These look to be well within your budget, and if you were to go to around 340 euros you'd be able to get the version with USB out.
It still has the XLR out so you can get the best quality but has the added portability with the digital option.
Magnus Mollin wrote:What about microphones for recording let's say, the ambience in a room. Or record birds singing? maybe people downtown? :-sta

For recording things like birds singing and people downtown probably best to use a shotgun mic as they have high directionality so you'll be able to point it at exactly what you want and get rid of the side signals. But for stuff like this sometimes the little handy portable recorders from companies like zoom are perfect and get great results. Zoom make great ones.

Ambience in a room you just want a condenser really and use a polar pattern that suits the task and room.
Thanks for the tip!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

kylemcsparron wrote:
hydrogen wrote: zoom h2 (portable recorder)
Just noticing, thats the zoom mic I meant, nice one :)

I really wnt one to get some extra sound effects :(
Its really good imo... but i don't have supersonic hearing. :oops: If you get one i highly recommend getting a card reader as the dataspeeds directly off the device are slow.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest