- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

NI Maschine

Post by dubgil »

Hello folks,
looking for opinions -

I have been a long time user of Korg Electribes and Ableton Live.
From my limited knowledge, the NI Maschine looks like something appealing. I was curious if other had input on moving from the Electibes to NI Machine. For someone like myself who likes grooveboxes is this is good progression. One thing that I've always hoped for is a groove box you can edit and connect with a computer fully. THis seems to be it.

any opinions appreciated.

Thank you
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Might be best to try the NI forums for that, it's a little early to assume it might be that widespread for general opinions.

I read a bit about it and watched a few of the online NI videos ( which was just to get a feature list as they are obviously completely biased ) and also read a few user reviews and magazine reviews.

It sounds very good essentially but I guess it's completely possible to set up a working template in your DAW app to cater for the type of thing it offers. One thing that would have COMPLETELY put me off if I was a potential customer is the inability to sequence scenes.

Essentially, you record patterns, they go into scenes and then you would sequence a series of scenes for a song. A lot of people are saying this can't be done with the current version. They are being told to enter program change messages in their host but this is unstable apparently and Maschine picks up timeline differences in regard to its patterns and the location of the bar number in the host when it is playing which means those scenes are not being triggered in any logical way.

Have a look at the NI forums for a guide to how people are experiencing it.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

the soundonsound review kind of put me off, it didn't really seem like it was something that would work for me, but yeah, the NI forum is probably the place.

also, the price is a little high for what it is, imo.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Atheory wrote:the soundonsound review kind of put me off, it didn't really seem like it was something that would work for me, but yeah, the NI forum is probably the place.

also, the price is a little high for what it is, imo.
Is that SoS review online? I have been trying to find it but had no luck.

[edit] It's ok, found it HERE
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

the NI forum is helpfull yes...
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

AK wrote: Essentially, you record patterns, they go into scenes and then you would sequence a series of scenes for a song. A lot of people are saying this can't be done with the current version.it.
I can do that with my Maschine, 1.0.3. But you just can define the start- and end-scene, which means it plays back from scene 1 to scene 4 (for instance). Maybe there will be a better solution in the future for that linear thing ... but let's see, I got mine just yesterday, so there is much more to explore for me today :D

First impression after a 4hours session : The same fun like my electribe, but with much more possibilities and a much better sound and even a better live-ability! I'm impressed!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

optX wrote:
AK wrote: Essentially, you record patterns, they go into scenes and then you would sequence a series of scenes for a song. A lot of people are saying this can't be done with the current version.it.
I can do that with my Maschine, 1.0.3. But you just can define the start- and end-scene, which means it plays back from scene 1 to scene 4 (for instance). Maybe there will be a better solution in the future for that linear thing ... but let's see, I got mine just yesterday, so there is much more to explore for me today :D

First impression after a 4hours session : The same fun like my electribe, but with much more possibilities and a much better sound and even a better live-ability! I'm impressed!
Obviously you having the thing means you know a 100% more about it than I do, I was just going by what I read on the NI boards because it was a thing I was considering getting.

Shame it didn't come with synthesis options, I am not sure I could justify £500 on a sample library/controller but I guess it's all about the sounds at the end of the day and how it allows you to make music.

I have a sample library full of multi-samples, and drums and everything else and thought about simply getting some decent controller which intergrated into Live very well and just setting up various drum racks in Live. That does my head in though as I find I spend more time thinking about the possibilities and efx chains rather than actually doing any music. :lol:

Have you made anything with it yet? Wouldn't mind hearing what is does. It's definitely tempted me but I am not sure if I want to spend that much on it.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

AK wrote:
optX wrote:

Obviously you having the thing means you know a 100% more about it than I do, I was just going by what I read on the NI boards because it was a thing I was considering getting.

Shame it didn't come with synthesis options, I am not sure I could justify £500 on a sample library/controller but I guess it's all about the sounds at the end of the day and how it allows you to make music.

I have a sample library full of multi-samples, and drums and everything else and thought about simply getting some decent controller which intergrated into Live very well and just setting up various drum racks in Live. That does my head in though as I find I spend more time thinking about the possibilities and efx chains rather than actually doing any music. :lol:

Have you made anything with it yet? Wouldn't mind hearing what is does. It's definitely tempted me but I am not sure if I want to spend that much on it.
sorry for bumping in like this..lol...

i wanted to share some loops i've made with MASCHINE some time ago..i dont have it so long ago, so i am still figuring out the workflow...bt i like it a lot.....

link:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/16 ... 0LOOPS.zip

I posted these in another topic here on the forum:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47251