Impulse responses / Convolution

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Impulse responses / Convolution

Post by Atheory »

anyone use these much? i've been making/using them a lot lately after not bothering for a while but they can be really interesting.

i'm interested by the possibilites of what they can do, especially the impulses that are from various bits of interesting hardware, but i'm never really convinced by those particular ones too much.

i guess they are quite limited in someways and quite hit and miss and maybe there are better reverbs out there to use instead.

anyone have any thoughs, tips, techniques they want to share. or even links to IR that are worthwhile.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

my 2 cents is probably not that much help but just in case.

I've heard that the character of interesting hardware can't be captured with an impulse response. I think the units respond dynamically to sonic material, and have some natural variations and various other things.

I imagine that there is great room for use/abuse with convolution in other areas though.

As a side note I think paying attention to space is a very important area, especially with electronics when most stuff is unnaturally dry, and also with the nonhuman thing. Really there is an infinite playground of using space. I can't even begin to describe the kind of stuff you could do, but definitely imo adding a little bit of background to a dry sound definitely isn't an end point as far as use of reverbaration goes (not that this technique isn't ever useful).

I've had great fun coaxing interesting stuff out of alogrithmic units. but of course everyone has different relationships with different things. As ever, to each, his own.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yes indeed, i remember reading something about this in some dsp site/book, i can't really remember what it was that meant it would never work properly.

yeah your properly into reverb and stuff, its really important, i barely scratch the surface with it really. its on the to do list, which grows longer by the day.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Atheory wrote:yes indeed, i remember reading something about this in some dsp site/book, i can't really remember what it was that meant it would never work properly.

yeah your properly into reverb and stuff, its really important, i barely scratch the surface with it really. its on the to do list, which grows longer by the day.
I see it get mentioned a bit on KVR, but it could just be purists saying it. Can't hurt to give it a crack. I think (though I've never used one myself) a lot of what makes the boxes like Lexicon great is that they don't actually sound that natural. Maybe this technique can be applied to convolutions.

ha ha, nah I don't know fck all about reverbs really. I'm just lucky to have some nice gear and the knowledge that reverb fits nice into effects chains. then it's just turning knobs, chainging positions and seeing what happens.

As for the ever increasing personal do list, tell me about it! heheh.
WYRL
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by WYRL »

Heres a link to some nice free impulses of the Bricasti M7.Just played with them today and i'm blown away! http://www.acousticas.net/World/IRs/AcousticasM7.zip
I usually find hard to experiment with convolution verbs but it's so cool to be able to get a taste even if they are a bit static. You can always chuck something else into the chain to give a bit more movement.
"only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue" NOMEANSNO

http://soundcloud.com/wyrl