Rides tips

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Rides tips

Post by Opuswerk »

Hello,

I've recently been fascinated by rides and the beautiful way they can actually fill up the higher layer of a track while still being subtle. However i can't manage to actually nail the thing right.
Been playing with the velocity and the release and the filter, but to no avail. Also hunted down "classic" samples as well as less classic ones to no avail yet.
Synthetizing them proved to be quite useless as they are more complex sounds than I first expected.
Could masters in rides and cymbals share their tips on how to nail the good ride groove, the jazzy one, the dreamy one etc...
Looking forward to your answers :D
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

are you looking to utilize a ride by implementing in a constant ride groove? if so youll want a relatively short non-washy ride, i can post up some stuff for you when i get back home!
Last edited by livecollective on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

looking forward to hearing some tips here, i'm all at sea when it comes to rides
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

not sure what your getting at with the what type of sound you want but changing the velocity or volume on them can have alot to do with getting a good groove out of them.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

When I use them I like to go quite far in on the sample start time. Once I get past the 'bell' attack, it takes on a softer feel and the start and end time is almost indistinguishable. Then I lay them on every upbeat like where your kick would also go but you can't really pick up on where it plays, very subtle.

That's just my own prefs though where it sounds like the ride is constant.
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

when you're working with external gear try to distort it a bit with adding more gain on channel mixer,it works on 909 rides (but it you've got to listen carefully)

making the attack longer like AK said is great for rides also

bla bla bla i'm not master definately in this area but whenever i hear great mixed rides i fall in love with them instantly

for me one of the best use of rides ever is in fingers inc - can you feel it
now that's a riiiiiiiide :]
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

jazz ride patterns are often triplets.., ding ding-de ding ding-de...
http://freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons ... attern.php
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

thanks for the answers.
seems like the triplet trick did help a lot. those help to get the groove going. adding a noise LFO on the sample start also help loosen up the ride and give it a "natural feel.
I had already tried getting the attack of, as it seems to really do wonders on the rides, gets the metal edge out quite well.
The upbeat trick is also really amazing. those definitely help uplift the rides and the pattern in an awesome way :D
@ luminous, the rides in that track are indeed awesome ! as is the rest of the track. thanks for pointing it out. it's pretty much what i'm trying to achieve.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk