Hardware Samplers

- ask away
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Hardware Samplers

Post by dubgil »

I've seen some Hardware samplers on sale for dirt cheap
some dood in town on craigslist for example had a maxed out Akai S3000XL for $100

Emu E5000 for 95bux I saw last week

I use Ableton. it's got Sampler. I also fart around with the Korg ESX for quick knob twiddling of Samples.

Is there anything to gain by getting a cheap sampler like I mention above?
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

i'm big fan of hardware samplers,i love the way good sampler colors the sound and gives sample great contours/texture/character...and on the other hand the knowledge that it gives you

with a good (and long;)) relationship with sampler you encounter almost all of tricks/techniques that was used in early days of detroit techno/house and also really great things can happen just by accident

much of them has really great filters (ensoniq or emu are my favourite althogh i know ensoniq way better) and d/a converters which makes unique character of almost any of them out there (akai too)..also good sampler has far greater dynamic response from vst's from what i've observed..

their limitations works great for knowing your moves inside out and for getting really creative...i think that samplers teach you to take your sound really seriously...or sth like that

and i didn't even say a word of 12bits samplers;]

so yes yes yes,buy one - i would suggest emu - and start experminentating
kwality
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kwality »

Co-sign on picking one up. There one of the handiest things to have in a studio I reckon.

Sample some vst's into and it will all make sense. Vinyl sounds even better!
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

samplers are stupid machines that can do only one job, but they do this job better than any computer!
i would choose a sampler with SCSI (if you have an interface on your computer) or USB (only the models of the last years have USB) in order to be able to work on your samples on the computer and send them back to the sampler. editing samples directly on the sampler can be a long task, especially if you work mit multisamples and layers.

emu samplers are well known because of their warm sound, i personally don't like akai that much...
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

you wanna make hard techno right? whoever said mpc's were only for hiphop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesJXyuN5xc

:)
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Couple of useful things about samplers.

1. A Good one will sound great, much more warmth than a computer, and the effects tend to have more depth (reverbs always sound nicer on hardware to my ears - but that is subjective).

2. Being able to assign a vast array of sounds and then control them by hitting a button or pad with no latency can be very rewarding for drum programming. I recently tried to trigger Ableton with my QY700 and it was terrible, massive gaps between triggering the sound and it playing, the midi just didn't seem to work properly at all, whereas it's fine if you use Ableton as the master sequencer going the other way. It may be because I'm missing some parameters or something ,but I find my QY simpler to navigate midiwise than ableton - which seems overly complicated for the relatively poor job it seems to do.

3. It can be useful to limit yourself sometimes to a smaller amt of kits and sounds, by this - I don't mean constraining yourself completely, but constantly updating and improoving a small set of sounds , instead of havign a vast sprawling library that using a comupter affords. in short - I find I'm more focused when using a hardware sampler as it's much more of a pain to chop and change things as you would in ableton, whereas in ableton, I can sometimes get compeltely lost with 30-40 odd channels all playing stuff that was effectively just a little noodle or total deviation from the direction I was originally going. Not that experimentation is bad, but after a while , you should really be looking for some sort of direction to go if you ever want to finish anything.

4. As a negative point, cables and general maintenance can be a pain in the ass, particularly If you are thinking about taking it our live. I generally find I'm less motivated to use my sampler as it takes a while to setup and fiddle with before I start writing anything, and I feel this is restrictive to my workflow, so it's somethign to consider - will you use it , or will it sit on the shelf - as mine has for the past year :)
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

s.k. wrote:you wanna make hard techno right? whoever said mpc's were only for hiphop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zesJXyuN5xc

:)
Currently I have a Korg ESX - there's tons of youtube clips of some of the Tresor guys using it (Landstrumm, Vogel), it may not be as powerful as an MPC, but it has it's pluses

yes _ I've seen plenty of techno on MPC

I know it's the user, not the kit