Do you ever get burnt out on music?

- open
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Do you ever get burnt out on music?

Post by Castronova »

I work with music, listening about eight hours a day to all genres, all decades, all origins. I find lots of good stuff, but it's seriously like one out of every several hundred songs I hear. I'm soooooo picky about the music I like. In a way, it's good, because when I DJ, I've been exposed to so much that I can do complete sets using only songs that really amaze me -- but it's very rare that anything impresses me anymore. A bit of the magic is gone and the vast majority music feels a bit disposable to me, save for that 0.00001%, which used to be closer to about 1%.

It's kind of depressing, but I guess that's why they say you should separate your hobbies and your work.

It's kind of like when you start DJing, you listen to other DJs in a more judgmental way -- or producing -- except it's with ALL music.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

sometimes i need a break from techno and retreat back to rock/pop/jazz/blues/etc
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

not really on every music at once but very often to one style

that's why I mostly hear Black Metal / Gothic and Rock when I am not playing
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Do you ever get burnt out on music?

Post by miroslav »

Castronova wrote:I work with music, listening about eight hours a day to all genres, all decades, all origins. I find lots of good stuff, but it's seriously like one out of every several hundred songs I hear. I'm soooooo picky about the music I like. In a way, it's good, because when I DJ, I've been exposed to so much that I can do complete sets using only songs that really amaze me -- but it's very rare that anything impresses me anymore. A bit of the magic is gone and the vast majority music feels a bit disposable to me, save for that 0.00001%, which used to be closer to about 1%.
same here. even much of the stuff that people claim as favorite tunes on here completely eludes me. It seems that often minimal music must be devoid of melody and melodic structure, and to me just the opposite is true.

but I still keep digging, because that is the discipline. No one said it was going to be easy, and the 0.00001% is still worth it.

And yes, I find it good to branch out and listen to different styles of music sometimes, and then return to techno music later with a refreshed perspective.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Yes i get burn out with music but it's only happened to a few styles of music. I can't listen to a few minimal artists anymore.
amber_sun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by amber_sun »

it happens with everything, with music too

and then it's time to have a holiday :)

It happened to me last year for the first time, but not with every genre, just electronic music. I was so surprised that I couldn't listen to electronic music anymore. I couldn't believe it. Then I started doing something else, listening to different stuff like indian and tibetan music, playing the djembe, or simply enjoying the silence. Or listening to the sounds of nature in the countryside. Then after a couple of months I accidentally listened to a minimal techno track and I suddenly rediscovered the beauty in it.

Eight hours of music selection every single day can really exhaust you on the long run.
Rayda
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rayda »

I'm currently on a break from drum & bass, a scene i have followed and purchased vinyl in for over 10 years. To much of the same thing can become dull & boring, a bit of variety goes a long way.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

I've had that before. It's reoccurring—maybe once every 6 months. I can't imagine if i listened to music non stop though!

i've found that spending a week or more with NO HEADPHONES works for me. Give your synapses a break...listening to music all the time can be like drinking too much. It drains you. :shock:

after a week or more of not listening to any recorded music (and not "checking up" on music sites) the thirst returns. at least it does for me. it also helps if you sit down and listen to an entire album on your home stereo on actual speakers—while doing nothing else.