Typeface used by Perlon

- open
ballyhoo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Typeface used by Perlon

Post by ballyhoo »

I'm trying to figure what typeface Perlon uses on their more recent releases. Not the axonometric block text, but the text in all caps.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

looks to be either Akzidenz-Grotesk or Univers. Their almost identical.
ballyhoo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ballyhoo »

yeah, Akzidenz-Grotesk could be it!

I don't think the typeface is Univers though - Univers has more oblong letters, and its upper-case R has curved strokes, whereas the typeface Perlon uses is more circular and the strokes are straighter - the reason why I really admire it (maybe it has something to do with the medium the font is being printed on - a disc, so there's more of a harmony?).
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

faunty wrote:looks to be either Akzidenz-Grotesk or Univers. Their almost identical.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ison08.svg

Pretty far from identical imho
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by faunty »

thanks for that comparison. Yes, definitely akzidenz . I know Univers is based off it, but considerable differences.

Interesting I think i would like to try mix and matching some of the characters to make a perfect typeface. For instance the J in univers but the R in akzidenz. Throw in some numerics from helvetica...
ballyhoo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ballyhoo »

boudo wrote:
faunty wrote:looks to be either Akzidenz-Grotesk or Univers. Their almost identical.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ison08.svg

Pretty far from identical imho
its crazy how much helvetica pops out compared to its sister san serifs in that chart.