soundcard and monitor question

- ask away
rue north
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

soundcard and monitor question

Post by rue north »

Hello!

I dont have alot of knowledge in this area but ive been talking with friends and searched on this board and now im thinking of buying:

ADAM A7 (http://www.thomann.de/se/adam_a7.htm)

&

RME HDSP 9632 (http://www.thomann.de/se/rme_digi_9632_ ... ikarte.htm)

...for electronic music production with my home-PC. Can anyone recommend this? Or anything else? My budget is 700 euro.

Thanks in advance.
Koppnicker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Koppnicker »

Recently (actually the stuff came this tuesday), I bought 2x yamaha hs80m monitors (à 245,-) and an ESI juli@ soundcard (119.-) and I'm pretty happy with that.
So this is my recommendation for you. :)
Artificial
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Artificial »

those monitors are €800 for a pair so thats not possible I think..

heard good things about the yamaha hs80m and the krk's

+- €200 / piece
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: soundcard and monitor question

Post by Stomper »

rue north wrote:Hello!

I dont have alot of knowledge in this area but ive been talking with friends and searched on this board and now im thinking of buying:

ADAM A7 (http://www.thomann.de/se/adam_a7.htm)

&

RME HDSP 9632 (http://www.thomann.de/se/rme_digi_9632_ ... ikarte.htm)

...for electronic music production with my home-PC. Can anyone recommend this? Or anything else? My budget is 700 euro.

Thanks in advance.
these things are very personal.
are you going to do any recording (does the quality of the pre-amps matter)?
how many in/out do you need?
do you want an interface that will be next to you or onboard audio card?

IMO, you can find better audio cards on that price. the pre's are not the same pre's that they use the fireface 400 or the 800 and you can find better.

i dont like the adam sound all that much. i think it really lack in its low end, even with the more expensive stuff. but they do got amazing depth.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Artificial wrote:those monitors are €800 for a pair so thats not possible I think..

heard good things about the yamaha hs80m and the krk's

+- €200 / piece
yamaha hs80m = :P
rue north
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rue north »

Sorry guys, I meant ADAM A5. Ive heard those are very "honest" soundwise. I also went to the store and liked them.

Is it the same with the Yamaha? Can you trust them? Or do they only sound good? I want my music to sound good on any soundsystem.
It's tempting to choose these ones because my budget is very tight.

Stomper: I just want a good soundcard to connect to my moniters and nothing else. I dont know anything about soundcards and interfaces at all to be honest. I just dont want to spend money on things I dont need. Like interfaces (Whats that anyway :) ) and recording.

Thank you for the response.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

(Interface = any means of transfering audio in and out of your computer)

The yammys make even the most well produced track sound "possible", youll know what i mean if you are around them for a while, very detailed, imo.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

if your not going to make any recording (i dont mean just mic's, also synths or drum machines ect.) and you only need low latency with outputs for monitors, i think m-audio pci card should be enough.

i heard the yamaha a few times, never checked them in depth, but when i heard them i did got the feeling they sound too good to be accurate.
but if you want a real flat monitor youll need to spend alot of cash, so the best thing is to go with a cd (not mp3, only wav or original cd) of music you familiar with and know how it should sound like and listen to a few monitors and see which 'color' you like best. than take the time learning the monitor problems and how to work with them.